_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Amo for German 12.8 cm
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 03:04 AM UTC
I asked this question previously in the Armor group, but it's more of a cross-over question. I would like to know if the ammo of such vehicles as 'Sturer Emil' and Jagdtiger, which share a similar 12.8 cm gun, is loaded in two parts (first projectile, then charge). I suspect they are because in my model of Trumpeter's Sturer Emil, the ammo is stored in separate bins and racks, and there is a ramrod (not a cleaning rod) as part of the vehicle's interior equipment. There are a few loose rounds supplied; separate projectiles and charges, and then there is one complete combined round. The complete round looks like it measures around 4 feet long, and would weigh well over a 100 lbs. Since there are only 2 men handling ammo and loading I would think this way too heavy and cumbersom in the confined space available. Am I right in my supposition of two-part loading, and that the single combined round supplied is an error? I am making a loading crew for the gun and I don't want to have one guy holding an impossibly heavy round!!
 _GOTOTOP