_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Panther
Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 06:42 PM UTC
Which of the Tamiya kits is the best build and the best value for money?

Cheers
Digger :-)
Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 06:45 PM UTC
Personally, I'd say the Ausf G Steelwheel version (#35174) . They are all easy, but you get a complete set of rubber roadwheels + IR lights with the kit, neither of which is used if built as a steelwheeled version.

Cheers,
Linz
Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 06:52 PM UTC
By the way, does one kit come with more figures than the others?

Digger
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 11:33 PM UTC
The Late G has 2 better quality figures, and AAmg ammo bag which is missing from the other 2. The Early and the Steelwheels have the generic vanilla tanker in coveralls figure , which is also in the late Jagdpanther.

For what it is worth, the DML kits are a viable option, especially since they are at least half the price. But have no figures.
The Night fighting Panther from DML is a fantasy , never fielded in that configuration, but in that box for about US$20 you get a good Panther with individual link tracks and many of the missing details from the Tamiya kits.

FWIW, over on Missing Links there is a Panther G tweeks list which covers both Tamiya and DML kits.

Mike
Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 06:25 PM UTC
Thanks
Cheers
Digger
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 06:15 AM UTC
Digger
I have the Tamiya "a" and it has driver and commander figures, that look pretty decent. I picked it up for 12$ US on a trip to USA. I havn't built it yet but it looks very sweet in the box.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hola Digger,

I have build both the Late Vers Ausf G and the Steel Wheel version. Both from Tamiya. Both kits are great! But as a personal note I liked the Late Version better, perhaps because of the rubber tires instead fo the steel wheels. As far as accuracy, both of them are pretty good. The figures thats included in the Last ver. kit is normal Tamiya standard, but slightly diferent poses, the sitting guy anyway. I have not seen the DML variants yet, but have only heard good things about their newer ones (A and D)
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 08:56 AM UTC
I was under the impression that the Steelwheeled Panther G came with a full set of rubber wheels too. Is that not correct?

Nic
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:56 PM UTC
yup you get both sets of wheels, since none of the IR cats ever photographed sported steel wheels.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP