_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Opinion on Italeri m 60 blazer
ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 07:50 AM UTC
any tips or notes on this model.
what's good what;s bad,any corrections to make
are the tracks any good
i'll be using the eduard pe set.
any input will be welcomed
Eran
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 07:53 AM UTC
Eran,
This is a rebox of the ESCI M-60 Blazer. It is probably the best M-60 kit out there. It builds nicely OOB. I don't think it needs any PE or other aftermarket to make it better. I would definately recommend it.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 11:20 AM UTC
Esci really made history when they produced not only the best M-60A1/3 series tank, but they also put it in 3 different boxes: M-60 Blazer, M60A1, M60A3. All three were the same kit, with the Blazer having an additional sprue for Israeli Blazer armor and other IDF specific parts (i.e. urdan cupola, thermal wrapped barrel, etc.). In other words you could build all three variants if you just bought the Blazer kit (less version-specific decals).

When Italeri reissued the M-60 Blazer, they deleted the additional parts for the plain Jane M60A1 or M60A3TTS. Too bad they skimped on this, now you need to scrounge up a US cupola, shrouded or unshrouded barrel, and a LRF blister (with armored cover if you want to make the M60A3TTS).

It comes with US late style tracks (T-142) with replaceable octagonal shaped track pads. I am not sure if IDF tanks used this style. I think they went from the chevron pattern to the all steel Israeli style tracks. The link & length tracks are good though.

I'm not sure which style of air cleaners are necessary for an IDF Blazer. I also don't know if both are included (either the older side opening or newer top opening).

It's a great kit regardless, especially when you realize it is 12-15 years old. I do plan on picking one up before I leave Ft. Lee. They run about $18 here.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 01:15 AM UTC
Like Rob said you'll need to get a plain barrel for the Eearly lebanon variant(sorry Eran sent My spare to Claude). Rob the IDF did use the track patern up until the late 80's when The merkava style track was used. The barrel depot has some nice barrels .

josh
Aka shiryon
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:15 AM UTC
Hi. Eran I have the Italieri m.60 Its a good kit ,Academy do ablazer as well it has the Isrealie style Tracks also a good kit . Can you get Military Modelcraft International magazine? if you can try to get the November 2001 issue,the article is called Magach6 an Academy M60 WOW.
SGT_Fubar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 168 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:54 AM UTC
I have never built this one but I have read a couple of articles in magizines that say this is a very good piece.
Italeri also has a great reputation and I have built a number of other models from them. I am always pleased with
the kits and how the go together.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have never built this one but I have read a couple of articles in magizines that say this is a very good piece.
Italeri also has a great reputation and I have built a number of other models from them. I am always pleased with

But remember, this kit was originally an Esci kit. Italeri just bought the molds from the now defunct company and reissued the kits under their own label. They did the same with several of the 1/72 scale armor kits now on the shelves (M1 Abrams for one).
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But remember, this kit was originally an Esci kit. Italeri just bought the molds from the now defunct company and reissued the kits under their own label. They did the same with several of the 1/72 scale armor kits now on the shelves (M1 Abrams for one).

I have the Tamiya M60A3 on the shelf. How does that compare to the ESCI/Italeri? Should I even build it or is it way out of tolerance?
thanks
DJ
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:44 PM UTC
Purists criticize the Tamiya kits. I think it looks like an M60A3TTS, much better than the old M60A1. And it's the only OOB M60A3TTS currently available. You'd need it to make the Italeri/Esci M-60 into an A3.

I'm not too picky, it looks good enough to me. BTW you can also use the Tamiya USMC M60A1 w/ERA to make an OOB M60A3TTS except for the decals. It even includes steel (fin-less) roadwheels. The Italeri M-60 and the Tamiya M60A3 only have finned aluminum road wheels.
 _GOTOTOP