_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
MP Campaign
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 03:57 AM UTC
I have finished my first MP vehicle. It is the 1/35 Academy M151 MUTT kit. I modified the rear fender openings, replaced the steering wheel and reversed the left side windshield wiper motor. I modeled it after the 18th MP Group/Saigon Unit circa 1968 during the 68 TET offensive. Any and all comments are always welcome.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 04:07 AM UTC
Wow. Your weathering is not too much, not too little. It is almost faded, not dirty; I like that. While I know MP helmets were gloss, were they that gloss or is that just the camera? The can in the back is a nice touch and your M60 looks very impressive. My only suggestion there would be to try to drill out the bipod legs lightening holes.

Other than that it looks really good. Though it was a Saigon unit, did you have much contact with them while in Cu Chi or on convoys between the two? Or was the 18th MP group the included decals?

Jeff
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 04:16 AM UTC
Hi Dave!
Congrats! You are the second to finnish an entry in the campaign! And what an enty it is! Very, very nice!!

I specially like the MP sign on the back, in the spare wheel! I guess it's a homemade decal?

Don't forget to post your pictures in the MP gallery (follow this link ).
Paul
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Other than that it looks really good. Though it was a Saigon unit, did you have much contact with them while in Cu Chi or on convoys between the two? Or was the 18th MP group the included decals?

The 18th MP Group was all over the southern region. We would see them from time to time as convoy security in the late 1967 time frame We were mainly supported by the 25th MP units out of Cu Chi. The Saigon units were more like the street cops here. They patrolled the city streets along with their South Vietnamese counterparts. Some times they had Korean MP's with them.

Good suggestion about the bi-pod legs. The helmets of these unit were a very high gloss in town. They had an OD cloth cover with black MP letters on the front for rural security duty.
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 04:57 AM UTC
Very, very good built! Very well painted and soberly weathered (I would dirty it a bit more, but it's personal taste)! Congratulations!
It may seem shinny but we know how photos are!
Cheers and happy modelling!
Prato
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 07:45 PM UTC
HI Dave!
Your MUTT looks great and very convincing! I like little touches like helmets, additional red light and custom decals. Personally I think the weathering is very well suited for the urban setting that this jeep might served in. Well done!

Cheers,
Pedro
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 11:49 PM UTC
Jeff, yes those MP helmets were GLOSSY! My old Battalion Commander had one sitting on his desk, and the black paint shined!
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2005 - 01:35 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys. I am going to try and drill out the bi pod legs. The gun that I used was from the spares box and the legs are molded to the barrel. The gun that comes with the kit is very weak and have all been missing the front sight.
 _GOTOTOP