_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
K5 railgun Walcheren Campaign entry.
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2005 - 11:06 PM UTC
As mentioned allready on the Dutch Community forum 043 aka Eric Verberne and I are going to build together a 1:35 diorama of one of the K5 railguns that were left by the Germans between Zelzate and Sluiskil.
It will be our combined entry for the Walcheren Campaign.

We started building this mega kit (96 cm in lenght) yesterday and Eric finnished the barrel allready. Thank God it's not a brass barrel, it has almost the same meausure as a 1:1 scale schmeisser machinepistol :-) I'll take both wagons for my account.
Progress pictures will be posted soon!
Please... wish us luck!

Paul and Eric

Canadians on one of the K5's at Sluiskil

Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2005 - 11:52 PM UTC
Good luck Paul and Eric. Good idea to collaborate on such a big project. Will you use the pic above as a guide, and show it with the Canadians crawling all over it? Keep us posted.

Groeten
Henk
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 01:51 AM UTC
Guys, I admire your ambition. therefore I will offer this link, be it a great potential referance stop for you. Join this group and I'm SURE these guys will be a help.

Yahoo Railguns group

Hope this helps you guys out. I am such a railarmor fan, I can't wait to see some pics of the build!

Cuhail
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 12:25 AM UTC
Thanks guys! Here's a picture of what I did last night; placing the springs on truck #1. Just as boring as making indy tracks :-)

TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 01:39 AM UTC
It looks like the Trumpeteer version.Is it? I can see why there are so many parts just in the railroad trucks...
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 02:12 AM UTC
Paul,
If I may highjack your thread for a moment for a related question...
I have the 'Artillery wagon' in my stash, and have fancied building it for some time ( well, that's why I bought it.. ) . Now I would presume that these would have been part of the train moving the railgun?
If so, I think I'll build mine for this campaign, but would appreciate some pointers as to the colorscheme of said train/ carriages and any markings. A link to some info or images would be great.

Excuses voor het 'zijspoor' ( boom boom), maar dit heeft mij echt goeie inspiratie gegeven.

Groeten
Henk
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 10:58 PM UTC
Thanks for all the comments guys.
I'll post some more pics later this day.

@ Henk!

Nice to hear it inspirated you to build the artillery wagon! I builded once too, and it's fun!
Actually, I don't know if the artillerywagon was part of a train with the big railguns. It was more for ground combat (secure and defence on railwaylines).
I can imagine the railguns were supported by Flak, placed on wagons. I'm not sure, but perhaps it's a good question for the Yahoo Railguns group Cuhail mentioned.

This is what the site www.go2war2.nl mentions about railgun trains.
It's in Dutch, but that's not a big problem for you

" Een batterij van de K 5 (E) bestond standaard uit twee treinen. Beide werden getrokken door een Dieselelektrische locomotief van het type C 14.
Eén trein bestond uit het wapen zelf, een magazijnwagon, een personenwagon voor uitrusting met een keuken, twee wagons met munitie (113 granaten per wagon), twee wagons met patronen voor luchtdoelgeschut, een platte wagon met schuilplaats tegen luchtdruk, een open wagon met een luchtdoelkanon en drie rijtuigen voor de manschappen. De tweede trein telde drie munitiewagons, nogmaals een wagon voor uitrustingstukken, negen wagons met diverse voertuigen, een wagon met schuilplaats, een open wagon met luchtdoelgeschut, een personenrijtuig en twee wagons voor de hulpstukken voor de K 5. Als stuksbemanning telde de eenheid 42 man, waaronder vijf officieren en onderofficieren. Voorts reisde er nog een grote hoeveelheid personeel mee ter ondersteuning, waaronder de eigen verdediging.

And also:
"Bij aanvang van de Tweede Wereldoorlog in september 1939, bezat het Duitse leger 34 stukken spoorweggeschut, verdeeld over 16 zogenaamde batterijen. ze waren toen als volg ingedeeld:

Batterij Geschut
655 2x 15 cm
664 2x 24 cm
674 2x 24 cm
688 3x 28 cm Aangetroffen in Sluiskil
689 2x 28 cm
690 2x 28 cm
694 2x 28 cm
695 2x 28 cm
696 2x 28 cm
701 1x 21 cm (Dit is de K12!)
710 2x 28 cm Aangetroffen in Sluiskil
712 2x 28 cm
717 3x 17 cm
718 3x 17 cm
721 1x 24 cm
722 2x 24 cm

In de loop van de oorlog zijn hier nog een aantal batterijen aan toegevoegd, te weten:

532 20,3 cm
685 20,3 cm
687 20,3 cm
691 24 cm
713 28 cm Aangetroffen in Sluiskil
726 28 cm
749 28 cm
765 28 cm

More links:
This is a link for the Dutch forum about the K5 at Sluiskil / Zelzate

This is where I found the pictures:
Beeldbank Zeeland

And finally some info about the K5 at http://www.waffenhq.de/panzer/k5-eisenbahn.html.

Please feel free to use this thread for your questions! I'm happy to help if I can.

Paul
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 06:46 PM UTC
As promised; some new progress pictures!

Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 09:12 PM UTC
Wow Paul. You're glueing fast :-) I really had some trouble to paint the inner part of the main body. Are you going to make a dio with it?

Keep us updated!

Jurjen
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 09:28 PM UTC
You do make some quick progress Paul. That looks like a highly detailed, not to mention complicated, set up..and you have to build another one of these, or are you building both carriages at the same time?
Thanks for the links and info on the make up of these trains, it's a great help. Although the artillery wagen was not an integral part of the leopold train, I would still asume that they would have been used during transport, for defence. So I might still built it, but on a side track, as if waiting for the next assignment...or with some Canadian troops, with the DUKW I have started.. stop me, I'm getting carried away again.. :-) :-)

Cheers
Henk
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 02:58 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the nice comments!

@Jurjen: yep, there is going to be a 'small' dio with the proud Canadian conquers like the picture

@Henk: with over 1200 parts it's indeed a detailed kit. There are 6 spring sections on both sides of the wagon; each section is build up out of app. 10 parts...
This part was the most boring thing to do; just like making individual tracks :-) But the result is great.
The kit builds pretty fine; everything fits OK and that makes it fun to build.
I think you are right about the artillerywagon, or at least, it's most asumable. Dark yellow should be the right colour for it, I guess. Does the kit manual say anything about where it was used? That dio together with the DUKW sounds like a good idea!

Paul
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,242 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 04:07 AM UTC
Paul, Paul !?............................................................................
...................................................................................................
................................ what about me (043/aka Eric) i'm also working on it, making gun barrel and main chassis, aswel as the ammunition wagon and shell truck, it's a project of the two of us, i think we have to fight for who's getting the final result :-) :-) :-)
Greetings and thanx for comments guys
Eric
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 06:57 AM UTC
:-) :-) :-)
Well Eric, I don't pull arms with you! We just flip coins!!!
No, just kidding. You know the K5 is gonna be yours if we don't get it displayed publicly in a museum or something. Hell, I ain't got the place for such a thing!! :-)
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 09:32 AM UTC
Tonight I finnished the second 'truck base'. So the bases for both the carriages are done now.
Together it were 584 parts... That's almost about 1/3 of the total kit, only for the lower part of the carriages...

They need to be sprayed black first before I can contininue with the upper 'decks' and parts.
Otherwise there will be parts of the model later that you can't reach by spraying, but you'll still see.

But that's for later; I'm going for a short holliday with wife and kids, so I'll log off for a week!

Eric will continue his part of the build; the gun itself and all the other things like the ammo-loading-wagon, that runs on top of the rear carriage (so there is a 'train' on the train...)

Here's a picture of the two bases. The 'decks' are next to them. The left deck is for the front carriage. The one on the right is the back carriage.

Top and side

'Testfitting' on a piece of Dragon track... dreaming of what to come...

We'll be BACK!!

Eric & Paul
 _GOTOTOP