_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
US Deuce Question
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 04:29 AM UTC

I saw this kit online. What's the difference with this newly released truck with this older released Tamiya kit?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 04:42 AM UTC
They are the same basic kit. The "Red Ball Express" kit has a couple extra figures and some extra supplies as a load for the truck, and different decals. The figures and supplies I believe are the Tamiya Allied Accessories set and the new sprue with the mechnics and accessories from the M26 Dragon Wagon Recovery vehicle (kit with truck only, no trailer). I'm sure it will cost more than the truck only kit as well.
inopia
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 04:43 AM UTC
Hi Ralph,
I guess new figures and accessories...
http://armorama.co.uk/news/1178
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 08:25 AM UTC
lots of old stuff in a Brand new box and prob a lot more money.

shame on you Tamiya!
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

lots of old stuff in a Brand new box and prob a lot more money.

shame on you Tamiya!

True, but at least it should be a cheaper route to get those figures than buying an M26 I may never build :-)
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 09:40 AM UTC
not worth the price....they should have molded the hard top cab...THEN and only THEN would it be anything close to the Red Ball Express trucks...that and a figure or two that had the freatures of African American soldiers to be the driver and crew. Maybe one white guy to hold a clipboard to round out the set.

"I only spreak the truth" and you all know it. The damned box art dosen't even show a black soldier...thats just the mindset of the racist model manufacturer."

kevin
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 12:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

not worth the price....they should have molded the hard top cab...THEN and only THEN would it be anything close to the Red Ball Express trucks...

just a couple of talking points here...

1st a couple of facts.

The Red Ball Express lasted only three months, from August 25 to November 16, 1944, when the port facilities at Antwerp were opened.

In July of 1943, GMC switched over to producing these trucks with an open cab with a canvas roof more like a present day army truck. This measure saved sheet metal and labour.

conclusion is not all red ball express trucks had a metal cab.. in fact looking at photo's that I've found on the net it seems a larger proportion were canvas toped.

here is a link to a DoD article on them showing a few archive photos from the army transportaion musuem of the red ball trucks.

Link to article and photo's

as for the driver I am not here to argue about the mindset of anyone and I agree that the role of african americans in the quartermaster corps played a very important role in the war.

But not all Red Ball Express drivers were black... its estimated that upwards of 25% of them were white as to begin with there were not enough trucks or divers.

"The army raided any units that had trucks and used them to form the provisional truck units for Red Ball. Any solider that duties were not critical to the immediate war effort were asked to become divers."

"White and African Americans were not urged to mingle during off duty hours. "You accepted discrimination" recalls Washington Rector of the 3916th Quartermaster Truck Company. "We were warned not to fraternize with whites for fear problems would arise."

jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 12:48 PM UTC
Good summary Delbert !!!

I'm sure there are other references, but I just finished reading:
"The Road to Victory, The Untold Story of WW2's Red ball Express", by David P. Colley, publ by Brassey's, ISBN 1-57488-173-6
and would recommend it to those who would like to know & separate some of the fact & fiction about the Red Ball ....

John
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 04:17 AM UTC
well Delbert...I stand corrected...thanks for the info on the truck. I had that same site bookmarked and should have re-read it before making my initial comment.

But, I would like to add that because the same truck had already been issued, it would have been nice if a hardtop cab version would have been produced to complement their collection. As for the omission of the black army figures and the box art...it would have still been a wonderful addition to the set and a well deserved recongnition to the men that served. So on that point, I do stand by my remark about the manufacturer.

See you in the chatroom bro...
kevin (++)
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 06:36 AM UTC
I think Tamiya was the first manufacturer to give us an African American soldier figure. In their original M113, one of the troopers is black. The figures were also issued separately as US Armored Troops. There was another black soldier in the US Modern Soldiers set first issued in the mid-80s. I won't comment on other issues, but they have produced a couple of African American soldier figures in the past.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But, I would like to add that because the same truck had already been issued, it would have been nice if a hardtop cab version would have been produced to complement their collection.

Yep on this point I will agree.. it would be a more worthwhile reboxing if they added a spruce to give you a hardtop option instead of just reboxing a few kits they had laying around.

In fact if Tamiya is listening I bet if they made a duce and a half accessory kit that was just a sqruce that had the parts for converting their kit into a hardtop.. well I bet that would sell fairly well.

kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 06:57 AM UTC
well...thanks Robin...once again i stand corrected...of course knowing this extra info that they had released a black figure, I am even more surprised they didn't see fit to release one with this "Red Ball" kit.

kevin
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 08:10 AM UTC
Also Kevin at least Italeir is re-releasing their hard top kit. It should cost less than the Tamiya duce and in some ways I like Italeri kits just as well. I haven't built it yet but I understand it's not half bad. That's the kit I'm waiting for.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 08:27 AM UTC
In talking with resident truck expert Mr Roo it seems the Italeri hardtop still will have a hole in the roof for avvess to the MG. We don't know if there is an optional plug or how easy it will be to fill it in.
philp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
I have the older Tamiya kit and want to produce a truck driven by African-Americans for Black History Month (February). Anyone know where I can find a crew that would work or a set of heads that I could use?
I am also looking for a set of Jerry cans to fill the back end. Understand there was a resin set by Tracks (I believe) that you could just paint up and drop in. If anyone has one of these they would like to get rid of, PM me.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In talking with resident truck expert Mr Roo it seems the Italeri hardtop still will have a hole in the roof for avvess to the MG. We don't know if there is an optional plug or how easy it will be to fill it in.

LOL no plug for the hole and I know cutting the hole into a 'holeless' roof (as on my #7 wrecker set truck) was easier then trying to putty any gaps from filling it and trying to get the repair not to show through the paint.

But then again if needs must..... :-)

cheers
Cliff

PS> but don't forget there were trucks out there with the MG access hatch covered with canvas and NO MG or mount fitted. This would be an unusual feature to have on a model.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 09:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the older Tamiya kit and want to produce a truck driven by African-Americans for Black History Month (February). Anyone know where I can find a crew that would work or a set of heads that I could use?

Warriors produces a set of heads (African) that you might be able to cut and alter. I haven't gone this route because I consider the features a bit exaggerated.

I take the stock DML or Tamiya figure faces and build up (slightly) features like thicker cheeks and nostrils with acrylic gel medium. I like the appearance better going this route.

Gunnie
Delbert
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 10:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am also looking for a set of Jerry cans to fill the back end. Understand there was a resin set by Tracks (I believe) that you could just paint up and drop in. If anyone has one of these they would like to get rid of, PM me.

Hey there don't know how hard it will be to find the resin set or how much it costs but thought i'd let you know that about the best jerry cans you can get in plastic is the Tamiya Allied Vehicles accessory set #229..

It has some really nice jerry cans.. 10 U.S. style and 10 Blitz can's.. (War Department copys of german cans) also comes with 6 fairly nice 55 gallon drums and various tarps and packs, always nice for the parts bin.

The cans are all have the correct 3 bars for the handles unlike the older Tamiya jerry can set # 26 which only have 2 bars for the handles.

I used them on the front of my Duce

philp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 06:50 PM UTC
Thanks for the info guys.
I haven't gone the single can route because a full load would cost me too much. Have thought of trying to cast a load or cover most of it with just the last couple rows showing but haven't gone that route yet.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 12:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys! If ever I spot the older one, I'll probably get it unless the new one is present (the figures would be a nice catch especially for the dio I had in mind)
 _GOTOTOP