_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
posting pics on different sites?
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 01:22 PM UTC
hi everyone.

... an ethical question: is it ok to post pics of my model in two or more different sites (e.g: armorama & missing-lynx, track-link etc.) ? the reason for doing so is to get more feedback/comments....

... i don't know if there is an unwritten law (?) that says you can only send the pics exclusively to one site. i'm just curious....
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 01:25 PM UTC
Yeah, go ahead bro. You can post pictures at any site that you want as long as the site allows you to, and you are old enough :-)
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 01:49 PM UTC
I think He means to use his gallery space here to post his pics on other sites.

MoJimbo I don't use my Armorama gallery to post pics on other sites myself. I purchased space on www.photobucket.com and get unlimited space and bandwidth for 25 bucks a year and I dont use up bandwidth here. I dont think there is a rule against it its like you said an ethical decision you have to make. I hope that helps.
Cheers,
Bryan
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 03:03 PM UTC
Also to watch out for, some sites ( M-L I think is one..) won't ' allow' you to post photo's on other sites if you have posted them on their site.. . Although you can argue untill the cows come home about this practice, I do not agree with it, as both the model and the photo's are my work and therefore copyright. I am therefore free to do with them as I wish. I don't want to pretend that my models are so special, so 'I' should be read as 'each of us' , but by posting my photo's on a site, I help that site to get traffic, as in the end that is why a site asks you to post pictures of your models. Without the photo's there would not be much of interest for visitors. And don't forget that all sites have some (or more) income from the advertisers, who will judge a site by it's visitor number, not the quality of the photo's displayed.
I just don't post on sites with such a policy, as I believe that if they want exclusive rights to my photographs or models, they should pay me for them, just like in the real (paper) world. And even then, you only buy the ownership. For example somebody who buys a model of me, can off course take it to a show to put it on a table as part of his (or indeed her...) display, but what they can not do is claim that they build it. Well they could but you know what I mean. It's the same with famous paintings. The original artist is always credited as the creator of a piece eventhough he no longer owns it.
As an aside, many on-line providers have these 'share your photo's with the world' kind of things or on-line photo competitions. Fine, untill you read the small print, where they tell you that when you enter in the 'free' competition or submit photo's for free, you pass ALL RIGHTS to YOUR photo to THEM (yes, for free), giving them the right to use YOUR photo(s) for any (commercial) purpose they see fit. To obtain such photo's in the normal commercial way, would cost them a lot of money. The words rip and off only begin to describe this practice...
If you want to use photo's in your Armorama Gallery to show on other forums, to ease our bandwith, and to get even more people to visit THE BEST site on the net, post the URL address of the pic, rather than a live link.

Sorry for the rant, but the subject of copyright and rip offs do get me going.. :-)

Moral of the story, always read the small print..

Cheers
Henk

Vic
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,697 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 07:54 AM UTC

There is also a certain amount of space you can use for free on www.photobucket.com.

Vic
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also to watch out for, some sites ( M-L I think is one..) won't ' allow' you to post photo's on other sites if you have posted them on their site..

There's nothing in the ML Community guidelines or CONDITIONS OF USE about not posting pics elsewhere I've been doing it and no one's ever pulled me up on it.

Quoted Text

It's the same with famous paintings. The original artist is always credited as the creator of a piece eventhough he no longer owns it.

Any piece of original artwork even if sold remains the intellectual property of the artist unless it was commissioned or the Artist has signed the rights away.
Henk
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 11:13 PM UTC
This is from the Missing-Links Submission Guidelines:

Quoted Text

Terms and Conditions

By submitting an image/images to us, you agree to let us use the image/images on the missing-lynx.com website. You agree not display your images on other English language websites. You, however, retain all copyrights to your work and remain free to publish your images in all other media. By

I should have been more precise and added that you are allowed to display your pictures on sites with a foreign language...
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 11:40 PM UTC
Sorry, I missed that but as far as I know that refers to Gallery submissions only and not the discussion forums. It's fine to post pics in the constructive comments and other DGs as well as on other websites to get feedback and comments which I think is what mojimbo was asking.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 12:07 AM UTC
To use your gallery here and post a link on other sites now requires the person who wishes to look at the photo to be a registered member of Armorama as well.

So often it is better to put the picture on both sites and not just here. Reading ML's condition on only posting the pics on their (English Launguage)site is just one more restriction that I believe to be totally unnecessary and also why they will never see any of mine on their site.

cheers
Cliff
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 02:08 AM UTC
Cliff,
That is not accurate. He can post pictures on other sites using his gallery space here without a problem. It's only if he tries to link directly to a page in the gallery with a full-sized image that someone will get the message saying they need to be a registered user.

Jim
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 05:29 AM UTC
Why the heck is anyone posting on other model site?

All kidding aside, I know many of the members here like to get a wide variety of opinions so they post on multiple sites. Sometimes it's disappointing to see a topic that interests you only to find out that you've already seen those pics on Big A, and ML and again at TrackLinks, etc.

It's like buying a bunch of magazines but the all have the exact same article.
 _GOTOTOP