_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Correcting Tamiya M4A3E2
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 12:56 PM UTC
Found another kit in the stash I had forgotten I'd bought, a Tamiya 1/35 M4A3E2 "Jumbo" Sherman.. (Actually, this is almost like Christmas :-) )

I know there are problems with the up-armored transmission cover, turret, mantlet, gun etc. plus the standard Tamiya sponsons and road wheel issues, but is anything else a real show stopper (as if that isn't enough...)

I'm planning on getting the TW correction set with the turret, gun, tranny cover, and wheels, along with the Formations sponson filler kit with the exhaust deflector to correct the above issues. Anything else that needs to be done while I'm at it?

Thanks in advance...
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 01:37 PM UTC
Steve Zaloga sent me an article he wrote for Military Modelling (vol. 32, No. 4, 2002) about accurizing the Jumbo. Try looking for that issue. He used the Tamiya hull and TWS turret and tranny cover.
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve Zaloga sent me an article he wrote for Military Modelling (vol. 32, No. 4, 2002) about accurizing the Jumbo. Try looking for that issue. He used the Tamiya hull and TWS turret and tranny cover.

Zaloga ended up not using the TWS turret on his conversion. He scratch built his own. For the most part, the TWS parts should be fine. However, many people rave about the Blast models Jumbo conversion. I think its a bit pricer than the TWS stuff but I'm not sure.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hey david
If you put Zaloga Jumbo M4A3E2 into a search, then you'll bring up some pics of his model, with a couple of good assembled but unpainted shots showing his scratchbuilt areas... Hope this helps some
Brad
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 01:07 AM UTC
On my Jumbo I used the TWS turret and added Plastic sheet to the nose. I think it looks pretty cool until it make contact with cat ( no not a Tiger/ Panther, 4 legged type!!!). Need to find/ fix knocked off parts. Steve had a excellent article in Military Modelling. If you are interested PM me with your address and I can fire you off a hard copy. Has colour plates and nice pics showing how much punishment a Jumbo could take plus his build article. Of course it came out after I finished mine.
 _GOTOTOP