_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Warrior MRCV
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 03:49 AM UTC
This is the Accurate Armour conversion kit for the Academy Warrior. It is the first modren British vehicle that i have built, normally i build German Armour.

Overall i am quite happy with the way this has gone so far, the only problem i encountered was the "poor" instructions, which i have since found out is a feature of the older AA kits. To do this kit justice you do need good reference photos which seem to be more readily available now then when i was working onthis.....isn;t that always the way!

I will be priming this with Halfords Grey Primer, then i will base coat it in NATO Green and top coat it in Tamiya Desert Yellow/Dark Yellow. Any constuctive comments welcome

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 04:57 AM UTC
Hawkeye

Very nice build.I too have built it and liked it very much.Like you said photos are a must to do it.I did mine for someone else,I may do one again for myself.

With your kit is the crane glued yet?In the first pic it's looks like it not down all the way.As for the colour double check the NATO green.I was told by Derick H at AA that Humbrol 155 was the best match for the green.

Not to take away from your build here is mine done with 155 for the green.

Jim
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hey Jim

thanks for that, appreciate your comments.

The crane is not glued in place yet, nor is the shovel blade, they are just loosely attached for the pictures.

Not sure i agree on the green question. Where i work we do upgrade kits for the British Army and i have found that the Tamiya NATO green is a good match, but that is when the paint is new, maybe it fades slightly after it leaves us?

And do not apologise for posting your pic, that is an excellent model and well worth seeing

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 10:30 AM UTC
Hi

Always like seeing "ARV's"... Nice job on the build.

FWIW, the MCRV that I saw in Bos has sand chips and white chips ..guess you can imagine the places it has been :-)

T
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 10:37 AM UTC

Having done a few of these (9)and a great deal of AA's kits from way back ...if you could not obtain good "outside"info and were not able to study the subject "in the flesh it was a brute of a job.......27 Chally arv's later and 12 Fodens.....its a doddle :-) :-) :-) .....only because I had access to them on station and could see where the bits went :-) :-) :-)
Those were the days -eh!! when you needed to be a mind reader :-) :-) .....not bad now ------"character building" my old Brigadier used to say---read and inwardly digest
Looking good Hawkeye.......dont leave the remote up there ...if it fall your jib can make a right mess of itself.... :-) :-) ..best of luck
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 05:43 AM UTC
Totally agree with you Steve. I did a AA Panther 2 kit last year, and it was only because i know the Panther well that i coudl locate certain items, someone who did not have that knowledge, or the rexorces, would have had trouble

You got any close up's of those two models? They are most excellent looking. Also have you built AA Centurion AVRE 165 ? If so can you give me your opinion of the kit as i am interested in buying this in the future.

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 08:59 AM UTC

Hi, .....bit short of "PIC "space on here at present due to my "GPM-PT2 pics .......will keep in mind for later.....it is broken at moment (to-day )knocked about coming back from a show.......AVRE 165.....? ...which one ..old or (GULF) new -------both are exellent ..........both were built in good time ----no real hick-ups ------takes a bit getting used to all that metal-----Rate it (1-10)...9.5
Got some Big MacD's straws for the facine----made a big difference............real beast.....(You can always p-m me for more info on AA kits)
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 12:20 PM UTC
dont use the dark yellow I think white ensign models are now doing the correct colours for desert sand I had some good pics of one back in germany last year doing some maint work on a chally 2 sadly MSN has closed down my piccies page cause it hadnt been used in a while
 _GOTOTOP