_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
The real cost of war...
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 12:30 PM UTC
Howdy all

I have had this idea if a dio for a while...and I have finaly got a chance to build it... :-)
The dio is of an American m16 half track that has been badly damaged by passing fighter planes (is this possible???). All 3 crew have been killed...the M16 is still on the road and beside the road are the graves of the 3 crew...
Does anyone have any suggestions for this dio???...Does anyone have any ideas???...any comments???...

P.s Seeing this is my first dio that I wanna put on the net I want it to be special...

Thanks alot...Cris
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2002 - 07:35 AM UTC
I guess my one question would be, who buried the crew? You could have them still at their posts dead, or being removed from the damaged vehicle by - US ARMY Graves registration, GI's who just happened by, German soldiers or medics, or even civilians.

It is very possible for a plane to damage or destroy a half-track. Being an open top vehicle the crew would be especially vulnerable. Depending on the attacking aircraft the M-16 would have suffered .30 cal or 20mm hits. The damage wrought by the 20mm would be pretty devastating.

I have a small book, on Patton's 3rd Army from Normandy to Victory it contains a ton of wrecks including a half-track which took a large caliber round (Can you say busted beer can?) Anywho, look at reference material and go from there.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2002 - 11:30 AM UTC
If you are going to go for your own idea you will need to weather the halftrack heavily to show it has been there for some time or else make the graves look fresh ......... newly turned soil. Maybe even some momento left on the damaged vehicle by whoever buried the dead soldiers to show where they died. Or some wilting flowers on the grave , their helmets hanging on the cross, etc,
If there are quite a few hits, make sure one or two hit the tyres as well as if it flew in from the side somehow. flat tyres look really convincing

Another option would be to have two graves and one shook up GI sitting beside the graves or truck. I think all vehicles need at least one figure to show the scale of things and add a little life(sic)
 _GOTOTOP