_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Academy Warrior 'iraq 2003' - Opinions?
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 08:15 PM UTC
I saw the Academy Warrior 'Iraq 2003' in my local model shop today, I thought it might go well alongside my Tamiya Challenger 2. Has anyone built this kit? Is it accurate for the latest war, or is it just a rehash of an older model? I noted the box made mention of it being retooled, have they improved/corrected/updated it adequately?

I'd be interested in any opinions from people who might have made it, or a link to a review etc.

Thanks

Phil
Elad
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 09:48 PM UTC
hey Phil,

there's is a nice review of this kit by Terry Ashley on PMMS:

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/academy/acd13201.htm

good luck.
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi Phil

I'm happy with it.But I'm not a rivet counter so take it from there.

I would say one thing about it,get new decals.Bison makes a nice set for it.

Jim
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hi Phil

I part built the first Academy Warrior and the 2003 version. This is vastly better but still has inaccuracies. I'm no rivet counter either, but when something is incorrect by several feet....

This is the original:

And the (again part built) 2003 version:

I can honestly say that the turret basket on these two warriors is one of the most frustrating things I've tried to build in a long time. It really is CRAP!!! After four attempts on the 2003 version I've noticed that yet again it is starting to fall apart.

Be very careful building the turret visors. The small ones have sink marks that need careful sanding and the commanders and gunners visors need reference pics to put them together correctly, the instuctions are incredibly vague here.

These were the only real problems I had with fitting. Once they are finished I think they will look quite nice.

However, these are the only Warriors available unless you want to spend oodles of dosh at Accurate Armour. I am tempted I must admit...
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 09:28 PM UTC
Thanks for the info guys, the kit sounds like it will certainly look good with my Tamiya Challenger.
 _GOTOTOP