_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Miniature Magic KV-85 - FINNISHED!-
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 05:27 AM UTC
(OK, it's with one 'N'!!!)

Finally finished my first entry for the MM campaign; a KV-85 in 1:72 from PST.

More pictures are on my site: click here

Your comments, critics and nitpicks are welcome!!

Paul
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,242 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 07:05 AM UTC
Hi mate you've done a very fine job there with a great dio to give you're model more action look, the only point i would like to say as ment to be a positive comment is : the tree is nice but you can see the unrealistic brown color of the wood (stam)
greetz 043
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 07:11 AM UTC
I would suggest: chip your tank very subtile.
Or has it see no action before?
I like your tree but I agree with Eric.

Nice job! I like the simple dio.

Hilbert
Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 07:19 AM UTC
man,that looks great.the bright color of the tree and the dark color of the tank are perfect.i really like that,and then the red comes back in the grass,super,the grass is that heki grass??
you can be proud of this one
greetz jeroen.....
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 09:11 AM UTC
Hey guys! Thanks for the comments.

@Eric: I see what you mean about the tree. Although I gave it a dark washing, it's still a bit plastic looking.
But I can asure you on the picture it's more disturbing than in real. Perhaps also because it's blown up 2 times in scale...

@Hilbert: indeed, the tank has not seen a lot of action.
The KV-85 were produced from september till december 1943, with a total of 143. The 30th. Regiment wasn't one of the first regiments to recieve the tank, so as the scene is situated in november 1943 (due to the choiche of decals) it must be a brand new beast.

@Jeroen; the grass is from Bush (wild gras) It's sold on small 'paper' rolls (like those big rolls sold for modeltrain landscapes, but than smaller). The tree itself is from Heki and the foliage is the 'Early Fall Mix' from Woodland Scenics.

Paul
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 318 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 09:35 AM UTC
Just one teeny, tiny nitpick (if I may). Even though it's a fairly new vehicle, a little more dirt, and maybe some grass in the tracks. Overall, it's excellent work! Your choices of scenery colors and composition really sets it off. Good job!

Art
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 11:03 AM UTC
Paul
Looks great How was that kit? I am thinking of building more 1/72 kits
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hey guys! Thanks again for the comments.

@Art: I agree with you. It's still to clean. I shall try a little more dusty dry brusch at the wheel section.

@Chad: PST differs very much in their kits.This one was allright. Tracks were very good (individual tracklinks and sections of track). The kit had much flash though.

PST kits are fine, but only for advanced or experienced modellers: I builded a PST Zis truck once and the instructions mentioned you had to buy braswire or stryreenrods for the wheelaxels and some other parts...
Also their Ford trucks are supplied with GMC cabines that you have to cut in pieces. With some additional parts you have to convert the GMC cabine into a Ford cabine.

Paul
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 356 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 04:15 AM UTC
Looks great! Those mini tanks are really starting to appeal to me.
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:03 AM UTC
Paul, great job! I especially like the sag in the track.
Chad, glad to hear you’re “thinking of building more 1/72 kits”. Revell, Italeri, Dragon and Trumpeter (I personally believe) are the best to build experience and motivation on.
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great! Those mini tanks are really starting to appeal to me.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Watch out for them, they are addictive! :-)
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,161 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 11:31 AM UTC
I like it a lot Paul, neat little dio you have there! How was the build, the quality of the fit etc? Reason I ask is I have a couple of PST kits I picked up at a show a couple months back, a KV-1 and an IS-2M I've yet to build. If they come out looking like yours, they'll be nice builds I'm sure.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 09:12 PM UTC
Hey Paul! Your tank looks very good, especially with the base setup, as it ads much more life to the model itself. I think that chipping a tank and any other afv in this scale is questionable and I'm glad you left it "unchipped". My only comment would be to add a drop of black paint into the barrel opening fore more realism, but on the other hand it might just be the flash in the photo And I'm also getting more and more addicted to the braile scale models after several years building only 1:43 and bigger scales, while in my youth I build quite lot's of old airfix and matchbox little afv's

Cheers
Pedro
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 09:33 PM UTC
Thanks again!

@Moezilla, Like I said to Chad: PST differs very much in their kits.This one was allright. Tracks were very good (individual tracklinks and sections of track). The kit had much flash though.

PST kits are fine, but only for advanced or experienced modellers: I builded a PST Zis truck once and the instructions mentioned you had to buy braswire or stryreenrods for the wheelaxels and some other parts...
Also their Ford trucks are supplied with GMC cabines that you have to cut in pieces. With some additional parts you have to convert the GMC cabine into a Ford cabine.

@Pedro: aah! Those Matchbox and Airfix kits... I love them and I share the youth memories also!

The barrel is black in the inside (I drilled the barrel open with a smal dril) but unfortunatly, when a picture is blown up 2 to 3 times the real size of the model, those little 'forgotten" spots show... In the third picture you can also see some light green of the plastic between the roadwheels
On the real model, it doesn't show (at least, not noticable).

PAUL
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hi Paul,
This is a real "niniature magic" Congrats on finishing it. I like the grass and the, they look very realistic.
 _GOTOTOP