_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Silly Questions Re: Tiger Details
yellobelli
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 02:59 AM UTC
All:

I realize that this is a silly question, but it ain't stoopid. Stoopid would be if I didn't ask. *wink*

1) On the Tiger 1 (Specifically the Tamiya 1:16 kit, but I've seen it in several other kits/photos), there are a pair of "matched" steel cables attached to the top plates of the hull. What are these? What are they for? What are the metal rods (?) that are often strapped down between two strands of the cable? I assume this may be readily accessible tow cables and pry/leverage bars but we all know what anatomy parts assumptions can liken me to.

2) On the same kit, there is a snaked cable attached to the right hull plate. Same questions: what, why, etc. At first I thought it was an exposed hydraulic hose but a) it would be silly exposing a system component to easy harm and b) closer inspection makes it seem like there are loops/eyes at the ends of the cable.

3) In some photos and artists renditions, one often sees tank gun barrels wrapped in burlap or other cloth. Why was this done? What was it usually done with? I've always assumed it was to distort the silhoutte of the cannon barrel, making it less easily to pick out/blurring the distinct lines but assumptions and me....they usually don't go well.

Thank in advance for anyone willing to help a confuzzled wargamer.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC
Yellow:
I will try to answer your question that you posed. At Least # 2 and # 3 anyway, First, it's an extra tow cable. As their is also a set on the rear deck of the engine area. The Tiger Tank was an extremely HEAVY piece of equipment. SO it most likely needed alot of help when it was disabled or seriously stuck in the mud. NEXT # 3 . YES the material around the Barrel of the Main gun was used as a form of camoflage, Making it harder for the enemy to spot it amoungst heavy brush or other types of foliage. WHT type exactly. I'm afraid I really could not tell you. BUT I imagine it would be a type of netting that they used at that time. OR what ever the crew could find that would work. So I hope that I have been of some help in answering your question. Keep looking here for other folks here during the week. As some one should be able to give you a better answer.

DAGGER-1
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 03:10 AM UTC
In answer to question 2, the thin cables found on the sides of Tiger 1's were used when crews changed from the narrow transport to battle tracks & vice versa. One end was attached to the sprocket and it would then be used as a capstan winch to pull the track over the top of the wheels.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 03:21 AM UTC
Those rods sound like the cleaning rods for the main gun. The sections are screwed together and then used to punch the gun tube.
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 03:49 AM UTC
I've also seen several pictures of different tanks on flatcars, during shipping, and the muzzles are covered with some type of cover. Canvas or burlap maybe? I'm guessing it is there to keep junk out of the barrel during transport.
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 443 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 07:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

3) In some photos and artists renditions, one often sees tank gun barrels wrapped in burlap or other cloth. Why was this done? .

You are correct in your assumption to believe that th ecovering of the barrel was done to disguise the shape of the barrel (basic fieldcraft, no straight lines in nature.) However there is a second reason that it could have been done and certainly why it is done now-a-days.

There are many ways of constructing a barrel but they all suffer from the same four stresses:-
Hoop(circumferential) Caused by the propelling gas behind the projectile wanting to burst the walls of the barrel.
Longitudial. Caused by the gas pressure on the breech mech and the base of the projectile and tries to stretch the barrel.
Torsional. Caused by the projectile turning in the rifling. Equal/opposite theory as the projectile is forced to spin, it also tries to straighten the rifling thus twist the barrel.
Girder. caused by the unsupported weight of the barrel. Leds to barrel bend (droop).

The main gun is aligned to optical sights or a ranging machinegun.
these 2 are mounted in the turret at a reasonalbly constant temperature unlike the barrel which is subject to differential heating and cooling, particulary from the weather. This results in barrel distortion (from the stresses above)and misalignment.

To combat this a thermal sleeve is fitted made from asbestos with an air gap between it and the barrel to help maintain a more stable temperature and slow cooling time. With this ballistic match is maintained and everybody is happy.

Hope this helps answer your question #:-)
Robbo
Ronald_Kok
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 484 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 12:26 PM UTC
Short summery
Q 1 Towing cable and cleaning rods for the gun
Q 2 Cable for changing the tracks or other repairs on the tracks
Q 3 Yes protection for the barrel to keep out dust and other stuf that doharm on the barrel

yellobelli
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 09:00 AM UTC
Thanks much gents, especially Robbo. I now have some interesting modelling ideas for burst barrels. *grin*
 _GOTOTOP