Hosted by Darren Baker
American Civil War house in progress new pho
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 11:05 PM UTC
Hello All this is how these house looks now afther the addition of new parts and some corrections from the previous post.

best whises CArlos
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 11:08 PM UTC
ok now u can pack it and send it over here !!!! Brilliant work as always
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 07:34 PM UTC
Looks great. What scale is it in and are you going to give it transparent windows?
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 2,654 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 07:53 PM UTC
Very nice work and the only thing I would change and this is only minor - make the timber clapboards a little less regular with the odd joint and fallen board - your modelling is too precise -not an issue but buildings tend to wear and also carpenters were often rough out in those days -no modern Truss jigs eyc
only a thought -lovely model
Ian
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 356 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 02:51 AM UTC
If I had the ability to, considering that I couldn't even start making a project as nice as this, I'd make the door wider, unless the home owner is a carpenter, he's not getting any furniture or stove through that door.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I had the ability to, considering that I couldn't even start making a project as nice as this, I'd make the door wider, unless the home owner is a carpenter, he's not getting any furniture or stove through that door.

The doors are about that wide on the real innis house.

Well, this is turning out amazing, just like the real Innis house which I live down the road from! Cant wait until its done!!

blockhaus, I was having some camera troubles and will send you those photos today....LOOOONG overdue, I know.
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 356 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 09:24 AM UTC
I think it looks great! I really do. I wasn't trying to be derogatory in any way . Having no idea that this was a replication of an exhisting house I was just trying to be helpful I used to own a lumber / building material facility and that was a common mistake home builders made. I'm actually very impressed with your raised panel doors and louvered shutters.
Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 639 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 09:52 AM UTC
blockhaus,
what do you do with all those!?
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wasn't trying to be derogatory in any way . Having no idea that this was a replication of an exhisting house I was just trying to be helpful

Certainly, I understand, sorry if I came off kind of sudden, guess I just couldnt put my words together right :-) but I understand what you're saying. And a lot of the historical houses in my hometown (Fredericksburg) such as the innis house are built very weird, everything is tall and skinny, if I remember right the British government had a tax on the way your house was built or something, I couldnt tell you the specifics, but, like I was saying, a lot of the houses are built in a manner which architecture today looks completely different in some cases, skinny everything back then, wide everything now, atleast around here anyways.

There is actually not much inside the Innis house, there are 2 "large" rooms downstairs, one located on the left, and other on the right, where the roof slants. Then I think just 1 room on top where the bed was.

If you look inside the house, there is just a table and a stool in the bigger room downstairs, no large furniture, unless the Innis residents took it with them when they fled before the battle (their house was smack dab in the middle of the Confederate army's lines, just near the stone wall on sunken road)
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hello to all,
thank you for your comments.This is a master to make molds to reproduce. the marks of the windows are too thin to make pieces that can reproduce with easiness. I have preferred this way also to reproduce the glasses.
due to the characteristics of the other products of the company for which I am making this model have preferred to give him a more idealized aspect that in other projects.
I have calculated the measures starting from the pictures that I have been able to find in the net, it is this way possible that they don't correspond exactly to the reality.

I would like to know, if it is possible, that material this made the chimney, seems that they are bricks but the inclined part of the chimney me not you if they are tiles or bricks.
thanks
CArlos
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 10:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Certainly, I understand, sorry if I came off kind of sudden, guess I just couldnt put my words together right :-) but I understand what you're saying. And a lot of the historical houses in my hometown (Fredericksburg) such as the innis house are built very weird, everything is tall and skinny, if I remember right the British government had a tax on the way your house was built or something, I couldnt tell you the specifics, but, like I was saying, a lot of the houses are built in a manner which architecture today looks completely different in some cases, skinny everything back then, wide everything now, atleast around here anyways.

There is actually not much inside the Innis house, there are 2 "large" rooms downstairs, one located on the left, and other on the right, where the roof slants. Then I think just 1 room on top where the bed was.

If you look inside the house, there is just a table and a stool in the bigger room downstairs, no large furniture, unless the Innis residents took it with them when they fled before the battle (their house was smack dab in the middle of the Confederate army's lines, just near the stone wall on sunken road)

I thought I recognized the house (visited Fredricksburg NMP in 1997). A possible solution for the weird shape of the houses that one of the ways of taxing could be a "window-tax." That means, the size of your taxes was related to the number (size?) of windows facing the street. At least it was a common method used in the Dutch Republic (hence the small frontage deep houses lining the canals/streets in say Amsterdam or Delft). Even the very wealthy built them in that way.
 _GOTOTOP