imitating mortar, need suggestions
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hi

I'm creating a wall using some stones I made recently. Using individuall stones rises the level of realism and gives you almost endless possibilities when building. I've created two test pieces of a simple wall. One piece consists of stones just glued together using pva glue, the other one has gaps between rocks to add mortar. Here's a picture showing the second version:

I'm thinking of a way to add mortar to make it even more realistic. I came up with two options:
- use wall spackle, which means I would have to mask all the stones with masking tape, cause wall spackle tends to get on everything and covers all the details
- use green stuff (modelling putty), just roll tine pieces of it and fill the gaps, which is easier than wall spackle

I will try to make some small test pieces to try those two techniques. In the mean time I would like to ask you if you know any techniques of adding mortar?? What would you suggest to make it look realistic? Any and all comments are more than welcome. Thanks in advance for your help,

cheers,
dsc.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 10:18 AM UTC
You can use wall spackle, but you would want to build the wall like you would in real life, using the wall spackle as cement.
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 2,654 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 10:20 AM UTC
why not think as the actual builders in 1/1 and use pepare filler and actually put them together as a brickie would -just an idea
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 11:07 AM UTC
Tom,
Dry wall mud, joint compound, I am not sure what it would be called in Poland. I mix in a little white glue as well.

Paul
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 11:14 AM UTC
I would use wall putty a home fixit paste that you apply with a small thin strip to get it in the creases.

Other options - model putty (expensive), white glue (may shrink), thinned plaster.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 02:12 PM UTC
wall plaster mixed with sand should be good

Frank
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 06:34 PM UTC
I think wall spackle would be fine as long as you didnt slap it on in huge portions, just use a plastic ware knife. Then again joint compound sounds like a really good idea...strong too
Mosseman
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 12:53 AM UTC
just putty
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
Thanks for all the replies people!!! This is really a great place to post your questions, as you are all so helpful:)

I've decided to build another wall and this time do it just like builders would in the medieval times. So I prepared some spacers (0,5mm thin plasticard), stones, some pva glue and wall spackle. This time I applied some spackle to each rock before gluing it down and pressed it down to make the spackle come to the surface. I removed any excess with a toothpic. It looks pretty well, but is also a bit time consuming. Here's how it looks like:

Hope, you like it. I will try to make a small panel (something similar to Linka panels) and try to build a bigger wall. I should update soon. Any and all comments are more than welcome.

cheers,
dsc.
 _GOTOTOP