_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
New BTR-T in town
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hi all,
just to let you know that Real Models has issued a conversion kit for the Tamiya T-55.

I've seen only one pic on the Panzershop site but it looks quite good. Two kits are available, with and without Friul tracks ref ATL11 (T-72 tracks I think).

The price is heavier than SP designs full resin kit (approx 100USD).

In the Summer action section, their VT-72B (see in the features section my article) is at 175USD instead of 250 ! It's a good deal even at that high price.

olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 03:20 PM UTC
Olivier,

Are you planning on getting this kit? I am interested myself, but real models has been real hit and miss for me, some of their kits have been ok, others have been a serious disappointment. Now, to be fair, the kits I got were all around the year 2000, so they may have improved since then.

Also, I know Sergej is going to be coming out soon with his own Tamiya T-55 conversion, and yes, it will be significantly cheaper than $100 US. Probably October or so.

But if you do end up getting this conversion, let me know what you think...
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 05:55 PM UTC
Hi Jacques,
I was sure I could draw your attention with this post

In fact, I expected some feelings like yours about Real Models. I've never touched a kit of theirs and for the price, I'm quite reluctant to give them a try. From the pic on Panzershop site, the kit looks pretty good and the detail appears neat. But 100USD plus the Tamiya kit cost make a lot of money.

My VT-72B has flattened my wallet for a while I fear :-)

My next project is the Zvezda BMD-2, easy fit, cheap. One drawback I discovered yesterday when looking closely to the instructions : no full painting instructions for the multi-tone camo Only a left side view ! I'll have to guess what is on the other faces.

Happy to read Sergej is still working on brand new kits and conversion.
olivier
armormike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 04:03 AM UTC
I have had some good kits from Real Model and the rest I resold on ebay. I found that the overall casting quality to be poor at best. I have now built four SP kits or conversions and have been very happy with these. (much happier than with real model) Maybe this time they did a better job.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 10:10 AM UTC
Just to be clear, I actually hope the Real Model kit is a good, decent kit without the problems I have had from their kits in the past. As noted, they can be a bit...difficult to work with.

But to be fair, I have a couple of SP Designs old kits fromteh late 1990's...epoxy resin (GASP! Holy Moley!) but as noted, things are now better. Hopefully the same is true for Real Model.

Personally, the most annoying part of the Real Model kits was thier instructions, or lack thereof. And missing parts. And massive warping. And massive airbubbles...I know, I should shut up.

Onthe other hand, Sergej is planning on releasing his new BTR-T kits in August, so I should have some to sell/review by Late September?
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 06:38 PM UTC
I wanted to get that one, but I have given up on them (Real Models), too many problems with their kits...

I'll wait until a "serious" manufacturer like Miniarm, Accurate Armour or Blast Models -just to name a few- does the vehicle.

Cheers,
Christophe
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 07:42 AM UTC
Good to see you here Christophe.

I to am sorry that RM has so many problems that they are considered unreliable. I have one of their kits that is fantastic. I have two others that are going to need some work...

Sergej of SP Designs is almost done with his conversion for the Tamiya kit, it should be in my hand s in the next 2-3 months, so I hope to have good news on a spectacular kit. Here's wishing anyhow!

_GOTOTOP