_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chavalier Zimmerit
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 01:48 AM UTC
I am going to try my first chavalier zimmerit set on Tamiyas King Tiger. Anyone have slow setting expoxy sugestions? Brand name, etc. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...
plstktnkr2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 309 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 01:53 AM UTC
actually, I didnt use epoxy I used slow setting CA and the results were fine (see gallery of in process work for the jagdtiger w/ interior and photoetch set :-)
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 02:34 AM UTC
I used 5 or 15 minute epoxy. It is the stuff RC aircraft builders use. You can find it in the RC section of the hobby shop. The only problem I find is, it can be quite messy. The end product is very good. Good luck
Recon
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 03:03 AM UTC
I did not particularly like the slow setting epoxy when I used it for zimmerit. I would use slow setting CA. The epoxy was not as adhesive as I would have liked and made a lot of bubbles that were difficult to correct. One more point, make sure to thoroughly sand the surface of the area that you are applying the zimmerit to.
Regards,
Andrew

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 05:28 AM UTC
Sounds like slow setting CA is the ticket. Thanks for the help. I'll send an update when I've tried it.

Thanks again...
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 04:19 AM UTC
keenan--Definately stay away from the 5 minute epoxy. It is messy, it leaves air bubbles as Oberst stated, and it stinks like a monkey's a**hole. Slow setting CA is the way to go. Another possibility is Elmer's white glue. A guy in my modeling club swears by it and I found that it works pretty well for large sections though CA would be better for smaller sections.
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,580 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 04:32 AM UTC
I did the Cavalier Zimmerit on the Tamiya King Tiger kit a couple of years ago. I used 5 minute epoxy and had no trouble with it. Yea, it does stink . As for being messy, I had no real trouble with it. I did lightly sand the model surface first to give it some tooth. I used alcohol to clean up the expoy that would squeeze out of the edges. Worked like a champ.
Just my experience.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:30 PM UTC
Now I can't decide whether to use the white glue or the slow setting CA. Crap. I guess I'll try 'em both and see what happens. Thanks again for all the help.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now I can't decide whether to use the white glue or the slow setting CA. Crap. I guess I'll try 'em both and see what happens. Thanks again for all the help.

My advice would be to try the white glue first because if you don't like the results it will be 100 times easier to remove and reglue using the CA than vice versa.
 _GOTOTOP