_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Walcheren '44 Sherman Crab in progress
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 08:51 AM UTC
Hi all,

I'm back from my vacation in Austria and during my 3 weeks there I've been working on several models. One of them is my Sherman Crab. I use multiple kits for this model. The hull is the Dragon M4A4/Firefly hull, the turret comes from the Tamiya M4 kit, and the conversion is the Resicast Sherman Crab kit.

Still some work to do....got to add marking devices to the rear of the tank and I need to do some repairs on broken parts (I sometimes had trouble with cutting the resin parts from their blocks....some parts broke, stupid me) Anyway, the pics give you an idea of the kit and the work I've been doing. It's a real challenge for me, also my first resin conversion kit and it's not an easy kit.....but I like challenges and I have a lot of fun building this model! Also the Sherman Crab is not often seen as model....

I hope you like what you see...

New update will follow soon....hmmm....painting this tank will be fun

Oh and before I forget...my tank will represent a Crab used during the landings at Westkapelle, Operation Infatuate II, 1 November 1944. The tank belonged to the 1st Lothians & Border Horse, 79th Armoured Division. Can anyone recommend decals for this model?

Thanks for looking,
Martin
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 09:14 AM UTC
Martin, the Resicast kit make a darned good Crab doesn't it. I made this one for the '10 of ours' campaign and apart from fragile parts it really is the "mutt's nuts".

The best decals are Accurate Armour's set:

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?CFID=3694130&CFTOKEN=5402831&manufacturer=0&category=6&subcategory=47&product=379

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 09:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Martin, the Resicast kit make a darned good Crab doesn't it. I made this one for the '10 of ours' campaign and apart from fragile parts it really is the "mutt's nuts".

The best decals are Accurate Armour's set:

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?CFID=3694130&CFTOKEN=5402831&manufacturer=0&category=6&subcategory=47&product=379

Hey

The resicast kit is a cool kit...not easy but real fun...there's only 1 thing I really don't like about it: the resin flails...

Thanks for the decal tip!

Martin
rommel21cw
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 09:50 AM UTC
I have wanted to do a Sherman crab for a while and by the look of this kit i think i may give it a go. Nice work on yours and I hope to see it done.
HILBERT
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 09:52 AM UTC
Review Review Review :-) :-) :-) :-)

Wow what a georgeus tank mate!! You know I'm really not a sherman lover, but I felt for this one!!

Uhhh one thing... if you wanna make a used tank from it.. make a few large dents in the tube where the chains are hanging on.

With all the explosions whouldn't that be straight.. if you know what I mean.

I can't wait to see it painted!! Bye Hilbert.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 07:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Review Review Review :-) :-) :-) :-)

Wow what a georgeus tank mate!! You know I'm really not a sherman lover, but I felt for this one!!

Uhhh one thing... if you wanna make a used tank from it.. make a few large dents in the tube where the chains are hanging on.

With all the explosions whouldn't that be straight.. if you know what I mean.

I can't wait to see it painted!! Bye Hilbert.

Hey

Well, my Crab is just being launched from it's LCT so I assume it hasn't been hit already....

Most tanks during the landings at Westkapelle bogged down thanks to the mud anyway lol...the best obstacle of them all!

Martin
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 10:43 AM UTC
Martin it looks like you had a really great time in Austria! Your Sherman looks very neat I can't wait to see it painted
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 10:28 PM UTC
Back from hollidays, I could only now appreciate it! Very good work there!
Cheers and happy modelling!
Prato
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 11:30 PM UTC
Super nice Crab Martin.

(I do prefer mine as Steamed Maryland Blue Points with butter. I do agree with the beer though! ) :-)
 _GOTOTOP