Hosted by Darren Baker
Tank Riders
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 04:27 AM UTC
Ok, we've seen 'em in WWII, German, Russian and even Americans. Ever think it went out of style? Here are some pictures from the 11ACR in VN with guys riding tanks. Large files so if your on dial up..............

Overhead view of several tanks.

Ground level of tanks and riders.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 05:21 AM UTC
Riding on the outside of tanks went out when faster armored personnel carriers were able to keep up with the tanks. Once RPGs and ATGMs came into being, the outside of a tank became a deadly method of riding into battle. Add to that the fact that most modern MBTs can travel 30-40mph cross-country, the infantry on top become more of a hinderance for the tank.

BTW, the rails on current M1 Abrams tanks are still called "grunt rails", even though they are no longer designed for infantry to hang onto.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 05:41 AM UTC
I don't know what the turret traverse speed on an Abrams is but I think there would be a high probability of getting crushed under the bustle rack if you riding on the back deck when the turret traversed...
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 05:44 AM UTC
I think they are the best stowage for modelling tanks with. I recently bought DMLs set of tank riding ww2 german paras. I think they will be cool when in place and finished!
As Sabbot said, I wouldnt fancy sitting on the back of one facing enemy fire!. But I suppose it was fast pace strategy for the time!
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 07:14 AM UTC
Sabot,

Read my post it said Viet Nam!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 08:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, we've seen 'em in WWII, German, Russian and even Americans. Ever think it went out of style? Here are some pictures from the 11ACR in VN with guys riding tanks. Large files so if your on dial up..............

Overhead view of several tanks.

Ground level of tanks and riders.

Steve--where did you get the photos? 11 ACR? Where did they get the infantry?
DJ
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sabot,

Read my post it said Viet Nam!

I did, it also said, "Ever think it went out of style?" To which my post is directed with the implied answer of yes.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 01:14 PM UTC
DJ,

Got a guy at work who worked with the 11ACR in VN and he brought in a calender and a year type book from a reunion. Caption on the bottom of the second picture.

Rob Gronovius
Major, US Army

Your fingers should have stopped typing when you read Viet Nam. That's the implied time. I also would like you to check out

TANK-MOUNTED INFANTRY

An additional maneuver consideration for a light/heavy or heavy/light operation is the decision of whether to move infantrymen on tanks. This mode of transportation can be difficult, but it is not impossible. It does, in fact, afford some significant advantages. The mounted infantry can provide additional security for the company team. When the team conducts a halt or must execute a breach or other tactical tasks, infantry assets are readily available to provide support and security. The commander must weigh the potential dangers of carrying dangers of carrying tank-mounted infantrymen against the advantages of mobility and security they can provide. For specific procedures and safety considerations involved in mounting infantry on tanks, refer to FM 17-15.

at the General Dennis J. Reimer Training and Doctrine Digital Library. So it's still a possible technique.
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 01:31 PM UTC
Don't Fancy tank-riding much.. Not in todays warfare anyway.
I reckon that the Milan Anti-tank weapon (British Army) would have something to say about it anyway....
Cazza
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 05:01 PM UTC
Australian Army Leopard AS1 MBT's tried a chain system mounted in a cross fashion over the engine grills. This system was to allow Infantry to mount the tanks, by giving them something to hold onto. During contact the infantry de-bused and hooked in. I haven't seen it done for a long time now but.
Sabotshooter
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:55 AM UTC
I thought it was out of style too until two weeks ago while we were in Ft. Stewart. We loaded a squad on the PL's tank and PSG's tank and drove around with em on just so the infantry and us tankers could get the feel for what it was like to have infantry riding on the tank. All we did though was drive across a field and stop short of a MOUT site while the infantry dismounted and assulted the town with us in overwatch. Now in hindsight I wish I would have snapped a couple of pictures. I did get some great shots of M1A1's mired pretty good though, just gotta get the film developed.

Stephen
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 01:57 AM UTC
Came across a pic of some mounted infantry during either deset storm or shield. they were on a sheriden.
Josh aka shiryon
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 02:05 PM UTC

We always trained to ride tanks but not onto the objective. We never did ride any during an AT. As a grunt I've humped too much to pass up any ride. Riding a tank onto an objective now days would not be a smart thing to do but to keep the infantrymen fresh for the objective is a good idea.

Last summer I watched an infantry company load up in dump truck for a movement.

merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 04:24 PM UTC
Personally, I don't think I want to be riding on a tank. I'd rather assault the trench from BEHIND it. There's just a LITTLE bit more armour between me and the bullets!
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 05:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought it was out of style too until two weeks ago while we were in Ft. Stewart. We loaded a squad on the PL's tank and PSG's tank and drove around with em on just so the infantry and us tankers could get the feel for what it was like to have infantry riding on the tank. All we did though was drive across a field and stop short of a MOUT site while the infantry dismounted and assulted the town with us in overwatch. Now in hindsight I wish I would have snapped a couple of pictures. I did get some great shots of M1A1's mired pretty good though, just gotta get the film developed.

Stephen

Stephen,

How many did you have in the squad? I feel a dio coming on....

Sabotshooter
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 10:25 PM UTC
We had anywhere from 6 to 8 infantrymen on the tanks. My tank didn't personally have any on it because i was lead vehicle. Docterine states that starting from the TC's hatch going around the rear of the turret to the loader's hatch the infantrymen will be PL/PSG, Grenadier, rifleman, rifleman, rifleman, Machine Gunner, Grenadier. The good book also also states that the infantrymen will not ride forward of any hatches and will dismount from the left front of the tank so not as to interfere with the coax machine gun. None of my pics came out of the grunts on the tanks, but I will be happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

Stephen Magee
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 04:37 AM UTC
Found one;

_GOTOTOP