_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
wheathering a 1/35th scale M4A1 Sherman
Sherman_67
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 203 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 11:05 AM UTC
I want to wheather my M4A1 Sherman and the tracks I'd like to know how to wheather the tank and the Tracks

Matt Out !
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 808 posts
Armorama: 479 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 12:13 PM UTC
Hi Matt,
You might want to be more specific in your request for help.
Do you want a heavily or lightly weathered vehicle?
Mud?
Snow?
What tools do you have at your disposal for weathering?
If you are more specific, it will make it easier for people to answer your request for information.
Joe
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 01:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I want to weather my M4A1 Sherman and the tracks I'd like to know how to weather the tank and the Tracks Matt Out!

Matt,

Lots of answers on how to weather. Everyone has their own technique and style. And, as someone mention it depends on HOW WEATHERED you want it.

Couple of starting points –

1. Ask lots of questions, look at lots of pictures and try to get a couple of books – Shep Paine’s “How to build diorama” (Vol I or II) and virtually any of the Osprey AFV Modeling. There many other books, some better in one part or another, but these to cover it. If I had to buy only one it would be Shep Paine book.
2. Weathering for me begins with what I am trying to reproduce. Russia Steppes, Africa, Pacific or wherever. The season Summer, Fall, Winter or Spring and of course the story line – fresh recruits, veteran, etc.
3. Weather begins with first paint job. I use an airbrush, but can do this with brush also. I tend to produce Veteran war scene so for my Shermans I lighten my Olive Drab with a couple drops of Khaki. I also spray in very fine layers and use rubbing alcohol as my thinner.
4. Once I get the basic paint job done I add in shadows by washes of burnt umber, raw umber and black. Paint diluted to a 50/50 ratio of more, then simple brush over the details areas and wear shadows might appear. Let dry… I will wash the tank many times during this process a needed.
5. Dry brush is next. Mix lighter color of the original Olive Drab and then dap the brush in and brush a few strokes on a paper towel till just a little paint is left and it is nearly dry (hence the term dry brushing) and the brush the model allowing the HIGH point so get the lighter paint.
6. The Washes and Hihglihgting/Dry Brushing continue until I gethe look I want.

Next I had the Mud, dirt, dust etc, The HOW depends on what I am recreating. While CONSTANTLY CEHCK AND RECHECK reference pictures

Mud – thick paint mixed with a bit of dirt or HO Rail road Ballast, painted slapped, splatter (with a toothbrush) and glooped on…

Dust - generally by drybrush, though occasionally by airbrush

TRACKS -

1. I spray black, the dry brush to get look. After rubber or steel is highlighted I add rust and road dust by drybrushing. Then I go back over it with graphite… #2 pencil works perfect.

Hope that helps a little, PLEASE ask any specific questions you might have. If I do not know the answer, someone here will.

Neill
www.johnneill.com

ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 03:06 PM UTC
A good basic build and weathering book that I recommend is Kalmbach Publishing's "Building Realistic Tanks and Artillery"

It shouldn't be that hard to find. Heck, probably amazon.com has it. Welcome to the site and keep posting questions and requests!
 _GOTOTOP