Hosted by Darren Baker
ETA on AFV Club M-42 Duster...?
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 09:38 AM UTC
So, now that we have the new Sheridan kit out --- love it or hate --- does anyone have an ETA on AFV Club M-42 Duster...?

And while I am asking, does anyone know if any of the other companies have any other Vietnam-era kits in the works...?

Thanks!

Aloha,

Johnny B
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 09:23 PM UTC
Johnny, the word is that it is unlikely ever to see the light of day. Firstly, as AFV Club and DML are involved in a 'Trade war' all the emphasis from AFV Club at the moment is towards WW2 German Armor.. Secondly as far as Vietnam war armor is concerned, there is nothing new on the horizon at all, although in fairness there are good (basic kits) of the M113, M60 etc. and a fair numer of softskins. Sadly there is no sign of n affordable river monitor in plastic (or even a basic LCM6). What is also needed are more figure sets and a decent M551...The usual story i'm afraid...Jim
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 648 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 12:56 AM UTC
Hmm well since I have been collecting parts to build an accurate (as good as my skill level permits) Duster and having said parts down in the basement maybe I should start working on it since Murphy would immediately release the plastic kit while I was in mid-build.

On the serious side it's a shame there isn't a better plastic kit as it is a very interesting vehicle with a lot of diorama potential.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 01:17 AM UTC
It is a shame, the Duster was in use for decades. I recall seeing them at Ft. Drum, NY as part of the old 50th Armor Division ADA assests in 1985. It served a much longer life than the M41 did.
Red4
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 02:13 AM UTC
Also saw one as late as 84' at Fort Hunter Liggett in California. A buddy of mine who served on them happened to be standing there, and we hear this engine noise coming from behind some berms. He knows exactly what it is as is approaches, while I'm still in the dark. Lo and behold, one each M-42 Duster comes rumbling around the end of the berm much to my friends delight. I wasn't too much into models at this point yet, but it was cool to see. "Q"
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 09:53 AM UTC
Thanks, Guys,

That'll be a real bummer if the AFV Duster kit falls prey to a Tiger or Panther, etc.

Hoping against hope that they've got too much money sunk into research, tooling up, etc. to abandon it!

And yeah, Jim, I'd sure love ta see some injection Riverine Craft (along with a PACV, of course)! The Masterpiece Models craft will probably be great, if not pricey...

Aloha,

Johnny B.
treadhead68
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 06:07 AM UTC

I was thinking that you could use the AFV 41 hull and the tamiya gun tub and front glacis plus various Eduard PE sets.

The parts break down I would use follows:

Squadron/Signal - M41 Walker Bulldog in Action I have
AFV Club - M41 Walker Bulldog Light Tank need
Hobby Fan - M41/M42/M52 Engine need
Eduard Accessories - M41A3 Walker Bulldog need
Model Point - 40mm M2A1 Barrel (Early) need
Eduard Accessories - M-42 Duster Detail need
AFV Club - Cal .30/ Cal .50/ 40mm Ammo Boxes need
Tamiya - M-42 duster. need

Now all I have to do is go out and pick it up.

Craig

Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 08:33 AM UTC
Heya, Tread,

Thanks for the most-awesome list of parts needed to upgrade the Tamiya Duster... I am Still hoping that AFV Club is still planning on releasing a new Duster.

Truthfully, I am about to have a baby in two months, so I cannot get too involved in any complex and long term projects. This is why I chose to build the Academy Sheridan with a few minor corrections and additions: simple and short term!!

Good luck on Duster, Craig --- I see the Tamiya kit at swap meets pretty regularly!!

And thanks again for the info!

Much Aloha,

John B
 _GOTOTOP