Hosted by Darren Baker
Oregano leaves
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 04:31 AM UTC
HI to all......... Just completed a tree using dry moss and oregano spices as leaves...... do u think that they will lose their colour after some time? I wouldnt want a tree with dead leaves after a few months on the shelf!! Any way i thought of painting them but it s rather difficult cos their original colours are so natural......... Anyone with experience??
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 05:13 AM UTC
Since the leaves were dried to begin with I don't think they will change color. However, before you 'plant' your tree try a light misting with clear flat spray. It will be absorbed by the leaves and be preserved. One thing the clear flat might turn the leaves a bit darker than their current color.

PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 05:31 AM UTC
I have used oregano leaves to make tress before also. I gave them a light misting of green then drybrushed a little yellow over them for contrast. I then sprayed the whole tree with dullcoat. That has been almost 6 years ago and they still look great.

Patrick
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 05:54 AM UTC
I used this method and my dio has retained its color for almost a year now.
I did give it a light misting/spray of dullcoat
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 09:44 PM UTC
The dried spices are brilliant for trees and foilage. And what makes it even better is when you use different spices for different trees and "plant" them side-by-side.
With the white glue and a mist of clear it will hold them better.

I sprayed mine as I didnt want to take the chance of them losing colour. All the paint only holds them better as they are quite fragile.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:51 AM UTC
Yup, a light misting of dullcoat has worked well for me. I hadn't thought of highlighting the colors before, but think it's a great idea Patrick. Looks like it's time for a new Dio!

Mike

kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:14 AM UTC
Many, many years I used dried oregano leaves for a small dio that I did. Straight from the kitchen, and I'm sure that I most likely did NOT coat with a flat coat when completed. All looked good until we had a spell of damp weather, I was shocked to find mold growing on my dio!

|:(

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Many, many years I used dried oregano leaves for a small dio that I did. Straight from the kitchen, and I'm sure that I most likely did NOT coat with a flat coat when completed. All looked good until we had a spell of damp weather, I was shocked to find mold growing on my dio!

|:(

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature

Let enough mold grow and you could have a Stephen King diorama! #:-)
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:51 AM UTC
thanks for the input guys.......... I decided to take the risk by just lightly misting it with a matt varnish....... Hope i wont end up with a stephen king diorama! haha!
 _GOTOTOP