Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Tiger l
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 04:45 PM UTC
I am in the process of finishing this kit and have observed the usual pro's and cons. There is the usual Tamiya precision when fitting plastic parts to other plastic parts, but not so when joining plastic to metal. The hull roof (plastic) is about 1/2 mm. narrower than the hull (metal), and a little shorter, too. If you snug the roof firmly against one hull side, there's a narrow gap down the length of the other side. Same thing with the bow plate area. Is this just me, or has anyone else had this problem? I also would have preferred that Tamiya included some hinge detail on the driver's and R/O's hatches so that you could model them in the open position. Although I suppose you could scratch the hinges yourself, but I expect more than this from Tamiya. I hope Skybow has paid more attention to this detail.
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 06:47 PM UTC
If youlike the Tamiya Tiger you will love the Skybow Tigers. The have reset the bar as far as quality and detail go. They also fit with the same prescision as the Tamiya kit. Hauler has some updates that will alow you to make the T Tiger into an Afrika PzAbt 501 version though.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 03:16 PM UTC
Does anyone produce a P/E engine grill set for the tiger yet? I was comparing Tamiya's Tiger and Stug lll to my almost 30 yr old Bandai Pz lV D (?), and Pz ll, also in 1/48 scale, and they will make great partners in any diorama, although I think Bandai has the edge in quality and detail! All we need now is some really good 1/48 figures, not the pantographed 20 yr old figures they released. Tamiya went to the trouble of sculpting a pair of very nice Luftwaffe figures with the Kublewagen. They should create some new infantry and Panzer figures too.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 04:21 PM UTC
Biggles--there is more PE, Tiger crew figures and decals than you could possibly want or need (ok maybe I exaggerate a little). It has been available for months. I have Hauler PE grills for the SkyBow Tiger. Perth Military modelling site has reviews of these products, Track48 sells some, and Heavy Steel which is allied to the quarterscale discussion group has links to all these prodcuts. Also, Track48 has brass barrels for the Bandai Panther and MKIV H which I hope will fit the Tamiya stuff.
GLenn
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 06:10 PM UTC
The Hauler PE for the Tigers is gtreat. The Tamiya Tigers you can get screens, Fenders, Exhaust shrouds , complete set , and the Africa PzAbt 501. There is also a resin add on for the Africa Tiger by Hauler as well. Track 48 has some of these sets and so does Wings n Treads.
Leo at LionMarc productions is working on cooling fans and rumor has it they will also be releasing a Bergertiger mod as well. Gaso.line in France has a Sturmtiger and Bergertiger mod as well. Wings n Treads will be getting these soon. I hiope we see more add on s for the Skybow Tigers now that they are on the market as well. Hope that helps.

Winston
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 01:52 AM UTC
Sorry Biggles, I had forgotten to mention that there are individual track links for the Tiger as well. LionMarc (formerly Armourworkshop)of HongKong and WW2 Productions of Australia make tracks for the Tamiya kit and SkyBow makes track links for their own early production Tiger. You might want to check the comparison of products available on the Perth Military Modelling site for more info. Those who are new to 1/48 do not realize yet just how much is available and more is on the way.
Glenn
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 05:13 AM UTC
I've got the Lion Roar set. Along with PE it also includes a brass barrel. It only runs about $10-15 on eBay. Highly recommended.
 _GOTOTOP