_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Vinyl Tracks
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 07:09 AM UTC
Vinyl tracks normally supplied with kits are usually a little stiff. I thought I saw a thread on this site which discussed how to make these things a little easier to use and fit. Did I read about using a hairdryer to limber them up some or was I just overcome by too much Southern Comfort? :-) If there are other methods, I'd sure like to hear about them. Thanks.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 10:15 AM UTC
Blowdryer it is,Tom.Or gravity on a sunny summer day.Hang your tracks vertically with a clothespin or small spring clamp.Put another clamp on bottom ends and make sure they hang straight down.Add an ounce or so of weight to the bottom clamps,making sure the weights are the same for both tracks.Note:light weights are what are needed as heavier stuff just promotes disaster.Split shot fishing weights for freshwater are ideal.Attach the tracks via the upper clip to a board and put in a sunny place,again make sure they are vertical.Mark the bottom end of the track on the board.Check back often as you usually only need between 1/4 and 3/8 of an inch to make them fit proper.Double check your running gear installation for errors that might cause non-fitting tracks.
If no Sun,use blow dryer on low-med heat settings and SLOWLY heat up the middle third sections of the hanging tracks.Keep the blowdryer moving up and down at all times.Vary the dryer distance and heat setting so you can apply the heat without blowing the track all wild.Keep checking the relationship change between the end of the tracks and your original pencil mark.When you see the tracks just start to stretch,remove the heat.They will tend to stretch a little more before they cool enough to stop moving.Let them come down to room temp before handling as they might deform if you handle them warm.
HTH!cheers!
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 10:45 AM UTC
Rick, thanks so much. I'll try one or the other tomorrow. Regards, Tom
 _GOTOTOP