Hosted by Darren Baker
I need help with rubble.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Armorama: 384 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 01:40 AM UTC
Ok I知 going to make rubble for my wall by breaking up old drywall.

Now my question is once I get all the rubble how do I attach it to the base.
Would I need to glue each and every little piece down one at a time or is there an easier way?

thanks.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 01:50 AM UTC
Hi Jacob!
When I'm building rubble I usually start off with a little pile of filler, I think you call it Spackle? Then while it's soft you can sprinkle some fine grit over it and press the larger items into it. When you have finished and you have the look you want, and before painting, spray with a fixative such as dilute PVA adhesive or even hairspray.

Vinnie
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now my question is once I get all the rubble how do I attach it to the base. thanks.

Teacher's method is one I use. And If I am doing a street scene, It goes right on as I prepare my base in the same manner described.

I also havea jar full of "rubble" - brick, broken plaster, bits of scale wood, fine wire, etc, -- I mix a 75/25 solution of White Glue and water - the little bit of water helps it flow into nooks and crannies, and splash away witha large brush. After the area I want is covered, I pour the rubble from the jar, press it ina bit and let dry

If I am in a hurry I drop it into a large crock pot (slow cooker) to speed up the drying process. Once dry I flip it ovver a newspapper and tap it to get rid of the excess and pour what is left on the paper back into the jar. If I am satisfied I move on, if not, more glue and rubble till I getteh look I want.

enjoy,

Neill
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 03:21 AM UTC
You can start with the above ideas and get a jump start - there does come a time when individually placing pieces is a good thing too.
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 03:20 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I値l try that.

Naill those are some great pieces of work you have there. Thanks for sharing.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 08:10 AM UTC
Try kitty itter.A coat of diluted white glue to the base and when dry a coat to the litter.Simple,fast and easy.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 01:02 PM UTC
Ditto Parrot.A 2 or 3 lb bag is a lifetime of rubble on the cheap.PVA/spackle/k-litter/oil or acrylic paints....just get down with it and do it!!!
Have fun!!
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 08:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Try kitty itter.

Just make DARN sure it is not the new popular "clumping" kind, or you will get a mess of mush. Make sure it is NON CLUMPING.

You may also be interested in a forthcoming review by Tanksygal1... she is doing a review of a resin kit we sell which is 3 large sections of rubble cast in white resin that can be positioned as needed. It is more for use in an urban setting, as it has brick, mortar, beams, signs, roofing, and personal artifacts strewn about...

It is also available embedded with a full street base, which you can see it in the DIORAMA REVIEW section (select "scalemilitary.com" as the vendor) as part of a larger diorama review just completed last month by Steve Keegan called STREET SCENE... here is a photo of one of the three piles included in the kit, and the link to the review by Steve...

Link
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/1022
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 10:06 PM UTC
Rubble, the solution I use is a mixture of white glue, woodland senics matte medium and water. This really soaks around all of the materials used in your rubble pile, and WILL hold it permanantly into place when dry. Individually gluing some (larger) pieces is almost a must.
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 02:25 AM UTC
Thanks guys.

I知 thinking I値l use compound putty (spackle) to make the piles and push most of the rubble into that.

The rebel is mostly from brick walls so I知 thinking of cutting some drywall into small bricks to use for the most part and then just smash some more up to sprinkle around them.

I値l probably use a mixture wight glue and water for the smaller stuff.

And most likely some larger chunks will be simply glued down 1 at a time.

Should I paint the rubble before or after I fasten it down?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 02:49 AM UTC
Re: Kitty Litter

Go to a farm or auto supply store and grab a bag of oil dry. It is the same as kitty litter without the perfume, dye, expensive packaging, etc. One bag will last you a lifetime...

Shaun
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

grab a bag of oil dry

Oil dry is what I use also. No smelly mess...... Anyway, once you get your oil dry, you can scoop some out, and crush it very easily (I use the end of a paintbrush handle with the oil dry in a dixie cup) to make different sizes of the stuff. Works great.

Patrick
 _GOTOTOP