Hosted by Darren Baker
TAMIYA 1/16 TIGER 1
jonnysocko
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2005 - 11:20 AM UTC
Hi guy I'm new here and to R/C aspect of the hobby and I wanted to pick your brains on this kit I got. I've always wanted one of these big R/C tanks and finally broke down and did it. I bought it with the Full Option package & METAL TRACK. What mods do you guys recommend for good performance. I've read about the drive upgrades? I also noticed that some of the other big TAMIYA tanks have sealed berring upgrades but I haven't seen anything about the Tiger I needing this upgrade? Also what radio is best for these tanks.? I've been looking at the Futaba stuff but I'm at a loss? I know that a four channel would probably be minimum but? help!

P.S. I've been a scratch builder for years in regards to detail parts but as some of you know that takes a lot of time so I was also woundering how you guys rate the Aber kits? Thanks everybody!

Brian
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2005 - 11:34 AM UTC
Hi Brian, don't know anything about R/C I'm afraid, but welcome to Armorama anyway! I'm sure someone here will have the answers for you
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2005 - 12:05 PM UTC
I got the Futuba Skysport 4. Make sure you get the one for ground RC not air. It is a 4-channel radio control and four channels are required for the Tamiya full RC Tiger.
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hello Brian,
There are tons of mods out there, I personally have all of the tanks except the $$$Leo. The FUTABA is great all you need is 4 channel unless you planning on adding tons of other stuff. Now for the Tiger 1 with the Metal track, it is highly recommended that you also get the metal running gear (saves wear and tear on the plastic wheels) there is also an upgraded idler wheel that is recommended with the metal track (once again it is needed in order to support the weight, many people have also went out and bought new motors to replace the standard ones, I don't have the names of the replacement motors, but the new motors slowed it down a little but gave it more torque to run the metal track. I hope this helps.

Tanks
Andy
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:46 AM UTC
Hi, Brian, welcome to Armorama.
I am a happy owner of a Tiger 1. Most of it's time it guards the office, but in special occations we do som "Tanking" around the hallways. I have not done any modifications to the tank. Built it straight from the box, and so far it works very vell. You will need a four channel radio, and a reciever to make your tank work. Any RC- shop will be able to sell you the right equipment.

PGILL
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 02:28 AM UTC
Welcome Brian...

I'm also a big fan of R/C Tanks and have build them all so far... Well almost, my Leo is about 90% done. It's been to hot out to finish it.

If you are looking for upgrades, check out BackYardArmor.com. They have a lot of upgrades parts for all of Tamiya's R/C Tanks.
Back Yard Armor

They have a accurate suspension upgrade as well as a realistic main run recoil upgrade. I added the recoil upgrade to my Tiger and it's well worth the money.

Now if you really want something special. They also have a SturmTiger Upgrade. As soon as I can convience the wife that I will die without it, I'm going to order it.

Good luck and have a lot of fun building it.
Pat
TANKDUEL
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 105 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 09:24 AM UTC
Brian
The guys here have given you great advice. One thing though, since you mention you are new to rc, and are looking for a radio. The Futaba 4 channel radios normally come with four servos which plug into the receiver. The Tamiya tanks don't require servos, so see if you can buy a 'Tank Set' ; which is the radio,receiver and TX and RX crystals, but no servos. If that's not possible, you can always sell the servos.
Here's another website/forum where you will find more useful info and help if you need it.
www.rctankhq.com
The good thing about RC tanks is there is no shortage of good people who are prepared to help newcomers to the hobby.
jonnysocko
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 11:54 AM UTC
I was woundering about the servos too. Not needing them will save a few $s. It should be here in a few days from Hong Kong. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions. I'm not sure what paint scheme or theater yet? I built the Dragon kit 6252 and can't wait to see them side by side. Thanks guys.

Brian
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 01:02 PM UTC
these things are fun as hell...

i have the pershing and the thing cruses around wiht no probs.

i reccomend getting a 1500+ ma battery for them since these things suck down the power. i have a hitec laser 6 controller for it and it works great
 _GOTOTOP