_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Snow - Baking soda
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:34 PM UTC
I've been reading many things lately about Baking Soda turning yellow after sometime. Can anyone confirm this , and if so could you please provide a time frame. And is there any way to prevent this.

What i planned on doing was using baking soda, and then sealing it in with a clear coat, will this work, or not.......i dont want my hard work turning yellow after some years.

Thanks
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:07 PM UTC
I made a doi with marines in the Chosin and won a contest with it. After about 3 years of chain smoking in the same room with said dio I finally took it the bathroom and gave it a shower. (The baking soda snow turned brown) I don't know for sure but I don't think there is a good way to clean or dust a baking soda diorama. My advise: Cover it with something after you build it, even if you don't smoke. My looked great when it was done but it went down hill quick...
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:24 PM UTC
Ive used baking soda and its been a year since I finished the dio and its still white as snow.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:38 PM UTC
Matrix, where do you live? You must not have gas forced air heat or a smoker in the house... LOL
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:52 PM UTC
I live in Oregon, and no there are no smokers here or gas forced heat.
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:19 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply guys. I just want to bump up this thread in order to get a larger consensus and input from others.
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:21 PM UTC
There was a thread on this subject back 1 page....in it I also stated that not only will baking soda turn yellow but it also can get bugs called weevles or weebles in it.....I had this problem when I did a German 1/2 track with the quad 20mm flak gun on it.....the damn thing moved across the room on it's own after a couple of years!!!
Microballoons are the only way to go for me now.....they are light....easy to use....stay white....and don't collect bugs!!! Another plus for microballoons is they kind of sparkle a bit too.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:29 PM UTC
What are Microballoons and just where do you get them? Incidentally, how the heck did they get that name?

Nic
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:40 PM UTC
Microballons can be found at good plastic shops.....actually there is a model company selling small bags of it as "scale snow" for $10......go to the plastic store and you can get a whole tub of it for around $5.
If you have built and resin kits that weren't all that heavy....it's because microballoons have been mixed with the resin to cut down on the weight without cutting out any of the strength.....helps cut down the mailing costs. I'm not sure of it's original use before us model makers got a hold of it.
They got their name because they are really.....very tiny balls of plastic filled with air like a balloon.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 09:23 PM UTC
Microballoons ? Never heard of those ! Only 10:20 am, and already Armorama taught me something new today !
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 09:50 PM UTC
I have never made a snow dio but I read quite a bit about making one. These microballons have surfaced quite a bit and the results are excellent and as well, having the advantages earlier mentioned of not going yellow or maggots.
I read somewhere that they are used a lot in model aircraft hobbies. So they should be available from there.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Microballoons ? Never heard of those ! Only 10:20 am, and already Armorama taught me something new today !

Most of the "big diorama gurus" use Microballoons. I've first encountered these in Shep Paine's book on dioramas, and since then everybody is talking that the most realistic snow is made of these thingies. I've never tried it myself, but have seen couple of dioramas with Microballoons and they look very realistic... and there is no way that they loose color in time like soda.

BTW, General I see you have moved to Bosnia... We should get together like good neighbours and have a pint or two

Mario M.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, General I see you have moved to Bosnia... We should get together like good neighbours and have a pint or two

Mario M.

LOL ! Maki, I did not mean to put Bosnia in there. I thought now I'm a general I should live life more seriously and sport my own national flag : Belgium. But probably something went down. That happened to me before when using "drop down menus". I have one of those computer mice with a roll button on top, and that seems to change the choice when you don't watch your mouse tail. I'll repair that right now. BTW : those Bosnians have a very modern looking flag there !

Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW : those Bosnians have a very modern looking flag there !

Actually, it is a flag that was made by European advisors in Bosnia, because all the proposed solutions with the Bosnian flag (by the three nations living there) were not "suitable" to the EU... #:-)

Mario M.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 01:35 AM UTC
Used it back about in 1982 when I was in germamy and made a dio of winter in my apartment it will without sealing get damp when it rains outside at least mine did. but looked great during the dry season. Posted pics of my old dio back in 1982 when I was in Germany by todays standard not up to par wrong color panzer gray I know but heck this was 1982 and I was away every week just about building roads for the Abrahams that wer just arriving so they could shoot at new advanced targets and the roads which could not handle the high speed of these things. So have a look at them
http://community.webshots.com/user/reef12
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 02:05 AM UTC
I`ve posted a same kind a message in another post

What I use is talcum powder. pour it over my dio then spray hair fixative on it
do this a couple of times because you`ll blow off the half of your talcum powder
repeat the steps a couple of times till you get the amount of snow you want

after years you still have snow that makes you cold when you look at it

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 03:01 AM UTC
I purchased Woodland Scenics product simply called "Snow". They make grass and rocks etc and the snow looks like a white flaky powdery stuff.
Ribble
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 78 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 04:12 AM UTC
In my experience using Baking Soda, it will turn yellow in a year and a half to 2 years and, even worse, it will attract insects (as it is an organic substance) and mold will grow on it.
It's the worse damn stuff I've ever used for snow. I got the idea of using baking soda from an FSM article 13 years, but they never warned me of the side effects.
JC Hayes
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 07:24 AM UTC
I got it, MicroBalloons are the way to go for snow in a dio. Question, Where does one find microballoons? Can they be found at Craft stores such as Michael's or Hobby Lobby? What are some of their other uses so I may find somewheer that carries them? I need them for a Chosin resevoir dio w/ Tamiya M26 and a T-34/85 w/ DML Chosin Marines.
 _GOTOTOP