_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
HMS Rodney....for Dreadnoughts WIP
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2005 - 12:49 PM UTC
Hi All,
Mike (blade48) Kindly sent me the HMS Rodney so I could particpate in this campaign in honour of our friend Garry.
Here are some pics of the ship primed and ready for painting.

All comments welcome
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2005 - 04:37 PM UTC
Ah the Cherry Tree ships, so name because they were cut down by the Washing treaty. When I was a kid I had the old Avalon Hill game Bismarck. I took as a matter of faith the the ship counters, overhead views of the ships, were all perfectly accurate but I figured they must have made a mistake on the Rodney. No ship could possibly look like that, with all main guns forward. Not so.

Wow, you sure didn't waste any time getting that one built. I take it that's the Tamiya 1/700 kit? How are you going to paint her? Looks like a pretty clean build from here.

andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2005 - 05:52 PM UTC
Thanks Rodger,
I thought the same thing when I first saw the ship :-) Yes it is Tamiyas 1/700 kit. Since this is my first ship model I am just going to go with a hull grey for it. Though there is a really cool looking camo that I was tempted to do.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Armorama: 713 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 04:40 AM UTC
Greetings, Andrew!
I'll agree with Rodger on this one, you definitely didn't waste time getting this build together! Looks good, so far, Bro... Are you going to build this into a diorama, or a stand alone? If you finish this entry up, you can always start on another...remember, this campaign is a long one, and you can build as many entry's as you wish!
Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Armorama: 761 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hi Andrew!

From what I can see from the pics, your HMS Rodney looks good, even OOB
The light grey and the deck tan are a wise choice!
I liked the work you've donne on the portholes - it makes a lot of difference!

The camouflaged one is here, for all to enjoy, Master work by Jim Baumann:
1/700 HMS Rodney

May this pictures of Jim's work, serve as motivation to your work Andrew, since Jim... Lord Jim is a real Masterworker! I which I was half a modeler he is

Keep up the good work and please, keep us posted!

Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah the Cherry Tree ships, so name because they were cut down by the Washing treaty. When I was a kid I had the old Avalon Hill game Bismarck. I took as a matter of faith the the ship counters, overhead views of the ships, were all perfectly accurate but I figured they must have made a mistake on the Rodney. No ship could possibly look like that, with all main guns forward. Not so.

Rodger!.......

Why are you not writing articles for Proceedings?

Andrew

That is a good looking build and the fact that it's lines are so...unique...I think I wouldn't mind having it in my collection some day.

I look forward to the finished product and yeah...you didn't waste much time cranking that out...makes me feel...like a slob...
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 678 posts
Armorama: 448 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi Andy:

Your Rodney is looking good. if I have time to actually start this campaign, I plan on doing the Nelson. This would also be my first ship model since returning to the hobby. A quick question: how do you plan on painting all of the details if you have already completed the assembly of the ship?

Keith
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 05:02 PM UTC
Andrew -

You've done yourself proud and it looks great!. Glad I could contribute.

And for those that might be still interested, I have a couple more kits available for those that want them. Just send me a PM. For "95Bravo", I've got th 1/700th Tamiya "Nelson" to donate if you'd like. I have several more 1/700 Waterline kits "hiding" in a packing box in the attic that I'll get to later this fall. Like Gunny said, this is a nice, long Campaign and I hope this will help extend it out and give others a chance to join up as Garry had planned. For now, I've still got;

1/700th Fujimi German Battleship "Graf Spee"
1/700th Fujimi Japanese Battleship "Haruna"
1/700th Tamiya German Battleship "Scharnhorst"
1/700th Tamiya British Battleship "Prince of Wales"
1/700th Tamiya British Battleship "Nelson"

All awaiting owners. Just let me know. I'm going to get a later start on my 1/700th Aoshima USS Washington, after I finish "Tank Destroyer" and "Spahwagen".

Blade48mrd
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 06:24 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments everyone
Gunny, I would love to complete more ships in this campaign. But I am going to England in Late Jan next year and would like to build the rest of my stash before I go ( my stash consists of 3 kits lol)

Rui,
Quoted Text

I liked the work you've donne on the portholes - it makes a lot of difference!

Sorry Rui I haven't done anything to the portholes lol Wow that model is amazing!

Keith, That is a good point about the details, I thought about that as I was building I decided I will just use a really small brush :-)

Once again thank you very much mike
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And for those that might be still interested, I have a couple more kits available for those that want them. Just send me a PM. For "95Bravo", I've got th 1/700th Tamiya "Nelson" to donate if you'd like. I have several more 1/700 Waterline kits "hiding" in a packing box in the attic that I'll get to later this fall. Like Gunny said, this is a nice, long Campaign and I hope this will help extend it out and give others a chance to join up as Garry had planned. For now, I've still got;

1/700th Fujimi German Battleship "Graf Spee"
1/700th Fujimi Japanese Battleship "Haruna"
1/700th Tamiya German Battleship "Scharnhorst"
1/700th Tamiya British Battleship "Prince of Wales"
1/700th Tamiya British Battleship "Nelson"

Blade48mrd

Ahoy, Mates!
Mike still has five more kits that he would like to send to five more willing modelers who would like to participate in this (Dreadnoughts!) campaign, free for the asking! A really fantastic deal! All ya gotta do is send him a PM, let him know which model that you would like to try, sign up for the campaign at the Campaign Headquarters page, and start planning your build...so you've never tried a ship before? Well, what a better way to test the waters and maybe spark a new taste in modeling?!? There's alot of time left in this group build, so hop on board and set sail with the rest of us!
Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 11:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the comments everyone
Gunny, I would love to complete more ships in this campaign. But I am going to England in Late Jan next year and would like to build the rest of my stash before I go ( my stash consists of 3 kits lol)

That's cool, mate...looking forward to seeing your progress on this one, and you can fill us in on the other three builds that you have in your stash too, as you go along! Always curious to see what others are fiddlin' around with!
Gunny
 _GOTOTOP