_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Official Capture Aidid thread
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 10:06 AM UTC
Capture Aidid campaign entry,
This is the start of my entry, AH-1F. Using three kits, Revell’s 1/32 G’ Cobra, Academy’s 1/35 W’ Cobra and Cobra Company’s NTS update resin set. The idea here is to combine all three into a F’ model. The one I’m modeling is from B troop, 3rd Squadron, 17th Cavalry, 10th Aviation Brigade “Blackjacks” in Somalia. Sopmod6 was kindly enough to lend me his Verlinden’s Cobra book. I have plans on making two of each scratch built part, so as to cast the extra set. I’m also going write an article on the AH-1S’F and it’s construction.

For those who entered, there is a gallery folder for your pics in the campaign section.

http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/14843
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 05:08 PM UTC
Cool- an Official Campaign Thread!

Ideas are ruuning around my old head- I'm reading "The Battle of Mogadishu" , edited by Matt Eversmann & Dan Schilling...getting ideas for what exactly to do. This Campaign has so many possible things to do.

Great to have an "Official Thread".

Jim
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 09:37 PM UTC
Busy on painting my Humvees interior, new pics will follow soon!

Martin
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 12:57 PM UTC
As soon as "Armorama 500" and the Sci-Fi "Capital Cruiser" Campains are complete I'll be getting back on my Humvee and AH-1W. The Humvee interior is complete but not weathered yet. The AH-1W has had most of the parts cleaned and is partially painted.

More to follow.

Dave S.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 05:24 AM UTC
I just joined in!
I was looking at campaigns section when I noticed that I have a model I can build for this campaign. It'll be AFV-club's Wiesel MK20A1 reconnaissanse vehicle.

This way I'll avoid painting the complex German camoflage scheme too! (the UN vehicle is full white)

Btw, get well soon, Joe!

Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 03:52 PM UTC
I think I'm ready to go...

I've been reading "The Battle of Mogadishu", edited by Matt Eversmann & Dan Schilling. Great book with 6 different authors contributing, all of whom were on the ground that day. These stories, combined with BHD have provided the basis for a small figure based diorama...Rangers, Delta.

Details as they develop.

Jim
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 05:46 AM UTC
Painting the figures right now.....no time for any more typing lol

Cya
Martin
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 09:32 PM UTC
I have been working on my Wiesel.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I replaced the grab handles with copper wire. The turret is also under construction. As you can see, there were a sinkhole in the hatch and a pin ejector mark o the ammo box holder, which needed filling. The PE exhaust shrouds were tricky to hold. I broke the front one (they really shouldn't make these parts from steel...), so I have to scratch-build the middle portion of the front fender (fortunately I can use the perforated part of the shroud, no need to scratch-build that). Just visible on the pic is a strip of styrene glued to the hull to help hold the new fender in place.
Dixon66
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:10 PM UTC
Finished my HMMWV. I couldn't call it OOB, more a sort of "kit-mingling" as opposed to "kit-bashing". It started as the Tamiya M1025 straight OOB, until I realized that most of the USMC Humvees from 25MD had the armored doors ( based on photos in UNITAF in Somalia ) They were using the high airfilter tubing to keep dust/sand out of the engine, but they were also using the low exhaust. I made the decals (at work ). The build depicts a vehicle that is a compilation of three USMC 25MD HMMWV that were there in May 1993. The drivers door is painted a different shade to depict a replaced door.

Comments welcome...

With the work shedule I have, it doesn't look like I'll be getting the AH-1W done in time.

Dave S.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 12:13 AM UTC
That humvee looks great! I like the subtle weathering and that automatic grenade launcher gives a certain sense of authority.

Well, here's my entry, AFV-club's Wiesel MK20A1:
It was built straight from the box, except for few items. I replaced the grab handles with copper wire and scratch-built the bottom of the front exhaust because the steel PE part broke. They really should use brass, steel being very hard to bend, especially on the perforated exhausts. The parts bends more easily in the perforated sections than on the bend line, results are ugly. Btw, if you thought that the king tiger is the manliest armored vehicle ever built, think again! This beast of a weasel is almost as big and menacing, but built with modern technology!
(Weasel is 1:35, KT 1:72... )
Here's another pic, showing the rear of the turret:
(The three first pics are also uploaded to the campaign gallery)
Dixon66
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 12:57 AM UTC
Hi Eetu,
Thanks, I wanted to add a lot of external stowage and realy dirty it up, but all the photos I found had the vehicles relatively clean, just dusty and without extra baggage. Oh yeah, for those who were wondering about the kit-mingling, the doors came from the other Tamiya kit the M1046.

Nice Weasel, I love the cannon on those things. You did that little vehicle proud. I've seen a few of those done, but yours is the first I've seen in UN markings, looks cool and makes it look a little bigger too. :-) :-)

Dave S.
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 01:43 AM UTC
mine's in the gallery already...
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 242 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 01:56 AM UTC
My entry of rangers and deltas. Even taken outdoor, i still can't get the detail captured in the pictures. I even put the macro on. Something is very very wrong with my camera

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 04:00 PM UTC
I wanted to make something like this, but i can't find a littlebird.
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 04:38 PM UTC
Hi eerie,

I think you need to activate the macro setting of your camera. It's indicated with a flower.

Angela
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 04:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wanted to make something like this, but i can't find a littlebird.

One currently on Ebay. Price is a little high, but it is there.

Great Models Webstore shows them in stock as well, at only $13.45 + shipping. Doesn't mean they actually have them though, you would need to call and ask.
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi eerie,

I think you need to activate the macro setting of your camera. It's indicated with a flower.

Angela

Yeah i did...even with that on, i still can't get my pictures done
 _GOTOTOP