Hosted by Darren Baker
Tank Panel Lines
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 05:56 PM UTC
Ok im curious as ive never done this to either of the tanks ive constructed but do any of you try to enhance the panel lines on the tanks by using an oil based wash or similar? Alot of plane modelers do this but im curious whether tank builders do it.

I realise this could potentially be a silly question.
Grypho
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 162 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 11:45 PM UTC
Hey Jazza

The only silly question is the one you don't ask

I use washes of artists oils thinned with Tamiya enamel (X-20) thinner.... varying about 80% thinner - 20% oil to 90% thinner to 10% oil.

I find it helps to wet the area down with clean thiiner first, then apply the wash. Let it dry, then wash again until you're happy with the result.

I use a mixture of lamp black, raw umber and burnt sienna.

This darkens up all those panel lines and recesses.

HTH

Griffo
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 11:50 PM UTC
Hi Jeremy...Remember there's no such thing as a stupid question..Yes we do use different techniques to show off panel lines on armor ...I use both preshade and post shading along with dark washes to show depth to my kits...here are a couple of examples to show what it looks like ...

Rick
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 437 posts
Armorama: 292 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 01:21 AM UTC
Jeremy,

I use a method similar to Grypho but I use turpentine to dilute my artist oils. There are acouple of articles about washes in the "/features" section here at armorama.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I use washes of artists oils thinned with Tamiya enamel (X-20) thinner.... varying about 80% thinner - 20% oil to 90% thinner to 10% oil.
Griffo

Ah cheers for that. i will certainly give this a go on my M113. Im having one of those feelings now where i wish i knew all these tricks before doing my M1A2.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jeremy...Remember there's no such thing as a stupid question..Yes we do use different techniques to show off panel lines on armor ...I use both preshade and post shading along with dark washes to show depth to my kits...here are a couple of examples to show what it looks like ...Rick

Damn nice Chally you have there matey. I just recently purchased the Tamiya chally as well so will certainly use your photos as reference.
 _GOTOTOP