dry stone wall help
Lt-Shultz
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 101 posts
Armorama: 99 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 04:26 AM UTC
hi guys,
I need a few ideas on how to represent a dry stone wall.
I would like to build from scratch, but if anyone knows of a comercial product, I'd be grateful.
Thanks

airraid
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 05:00 AM UTC
Hi Schultz
I would try looking in your local model railway shop for ready made items .I once built a dry stone wall using the small stones found on flat roofs.I stuck it together using P.V.A. glue .I thought it looked quite effective.Mrs thought I was mad.

Dennis
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 05:13 AM UTC
Shultz,
Try Great North Roads at
Here

They have some brilliant walls, and if you don't see what you want, phone Simon Farrugia, the owner and see if he can help, he will also give you 10% off if you say you are from Armorama. His walls start at under £3 so it's well worth a try!

Vinnie
hemble
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 06:35 PM UTC
Hi Schultz

I've used to differnet items for stone walls the first is balsa wood just cut it up in all different shapes and sizes glue it all together and then aply plater of paris to it .

The second one is kitty litter this I found is the best way to make stone walls just glue them togther and then gice a little drybrush or a wash to them

Ron
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 11:06 PM UTC
There are many ways you can successfully create the wall.

Carve it from plaster, or foam with a Dremel tool or a scriber.

Build it from scratch using rocks, cork, or kitty litter with glue.

Just depends on how much work you want to go to. Often times I like to do my walls from plaster, foam, or other material Again it depends on what kind of look you are going for as well. A "dry stone wall" can be mean many types of stone as well depending on geographical location as well... It could be rounded fieldstone, cut stone, or odds and ends left from construction of buildings.

There are many comercial products available from Verlinden, Custom Dioramics, and many, many, other companies.
 _GOTOTOP