_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Panzerkampfwagon VI Ausf E Tiger pictures...
TheCrazedLog
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 11:07 PM UTC
Hey,
I just signed up here, so Ill just say hi
Im thinking of making a diorama of a scene in Normandy. Its going to have some fallschirmjagers, some british troops, a german halftrack, (whats the thing? Skdv or something like that. 251 anyway), and a Tiger. I hope to include a allied AT gun.

Ive been hunting round for some decent pictures on a Tiger, indicated colour scemes and so on.

While im not a complete newbie to modelling, Im certianly not an expert. I have an airbrush, a 20 buck ozzie one or so, so not TOO bad I think. I would appreciate ANY tips on how to go about doing this diorama. Im not too concerned about historical aspects for this one. Next one

So has anyone got any decent pictures and tips they could share with me please?

Thanks a lot

Anthony

Edit: The tiger has been completed and painted. Im not happy with the paint job though, and intend to go over it. The halftrack is complete as well, along with some damage. The infantry is partially completed.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 04:52 AM UTC
Crazedlog,
Welcome to the Armorama.com family. Now as for this name you have, #:-) Don't ask you say, are we shy about our name? HA HA HA #:-) Any way welcome.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 04:57 AM UTC
Crazedlog,
I all most forgot, Try www.tiger1.info or www.tiger1e.info they will have everything you need in terms of your tiger. If you need more info. please private message me and I will give some more stuff if needed.
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 04:57 AM UTC
Hi,

Welcome to ArmoramA.

Here you have some photos of Tigers:

HTH
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 05:08 AM UTC
Crazedlog,
I all most forgot, Try www.tiger1.info or www.tiger1e.info they will have everything you need in terms of your tiger. If you need more info. please private message me and I will give some more stuff if needed.
TheCrazedLog
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 09:32 AM UTC
Ok just took a very quick look at those sites, and they look to be very useful
Thanks!

I couldnt see much in the way of colour photos. Can anyone help me as to what sort of colour scheme I should have? Im thinking Western Front, Normandy around 1944 or so.

Thanks again
Anthony

(the name? It started out as The Crazed Walnut, then it somehow became The Crazed Log. Ive no idea myself )
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 11:03 AM UTC
Generally, Tigers in Normandy would have a basecoat of dark yellow with dark green and red brown camouflage. The camo would be applied in the field and could vary in appearance, from wide stripes to thin ones.

Nic

PS--Welcome to the site TCL
TheCrazedLog
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 11:27 AM UTC

The panthers above, is that the sort of colour. A sort of hayish colour?

Thanks
Anthony

Edit: heres a better one:

Is that the sort of colour scheme I want? And how do you do that awesome camo? It is using an airbrush?
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 02:59 PM UTC

Something like this would be good, though it's hard to tell with all that zimmerit. The colour of those Panthers is what you are looking for for the basecoat. You'll notice that Panther model has a two-tone camo as opposed to three-tone (they left out the green). This is quite acceptable. Green was also used over dark yellow. The main thing is that dark yellow was the colour applied in the factory, so it was always there.
And yes, it really does help if you have an airbrush to do this. I have heard of some people using spray cans spraying one colour, then masking off part with cotton and spraying over top with the other camo colour(s). I think some also use sponges to try to get a feathered effect. Since camo was applied in the field, though, men didn't always spray it on, so you could have hard-edge patterns which you could simply brush on.

Nic
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 12:06 AM UTC
Hi,

Here at ARMOR CAMOUFLAGE & MARKINGS from AFV News you have some color drawings.

HTH
TheCrazedLog
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 12:20 AM UTC
ok thanks for your help guys! Much needed!

Ill be starting to repaint my tiger pretty soon..within the next few days. Gotta finish my HSC first (Higher School Certificate, leaving school exams)

Anthony
 _GOTOTOP