Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 11:47 PM UTC
I saw this one in the shop yesterday and thought it would perfectly complement my Warrior (still unbuilt, though) in a future DS diorama. The model is pricey and before I get it I'd like to know if it is worth the money... Has any of you built the kit? How is it?

To be honest, I like Scorpion better and thought of getting Cromwell Models update set for Scimitar... But I don't know much about the quality of Cromwell Models. Anybody? Some other AM update sets that I should be aware of?

Mario M.
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 12:05 AM UTC
I've built the Accurate Armour Resin and White metal kit of the Scimitar.
Builds into a nice model, although the only problem I found was with the resin tracks.

Don't know if cromwell models is designed along the same lines though.

Have built the accurate armour model of the Warrior (the most expensive kit I've ever bought), Tracks are better (because they are chunkier) the onlt problem with the kit was the poor moulding for the camo pole mounts.

Hope yer build goes well.

Scott.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 03:02 AM UTC
Mario,
Awsome little kit. I am building my second one know. If you can find the Eduards photo etch set, it adds a little bit more to it. Other than that, the kit is fine by itself.
Deacon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hey all,

The Scimitar is a sweet little kit and really is a very cool looking AFV.

About the only concern would be to those who are into the accuracy big time. The AFV club kit has the Post Gulf War damping system on the boogie system. To do an accurate Gulf War version you would need to duplicate or acquire the parts that Accurate Armour has with their Scimitar kit. Graft it into the AFV kit and you are set.

Personally though, I wouldn't be to concerned being its destined for a diorama.

I sure would like to see a pic of the dio when you get it done.

Deacon

Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 08:51 PM UTC
Hi there
The only problem i have with the afv club scimitar is the tracks.If you don't get the suspension set up just right they end up being too tight. Possibly stretching them a little might help. Airwaves also do a detail kit for the Scimitar,which looks quite nice as it has bits in it that aren't in the eduard kit. As for the quality of cromwell models i bought their warrior update set and quite frankly wasn't all that impressed. I much prefer the AA update sets.
HTH
Regards
Peter
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 09:01 PM UTC
Cromwell can be very difficult to obtain. If possible it is best to pass through a dealer or by at a show directly to avoid disappointment.

Jack
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 01:02 AM UTC
The AFV Club Scimitar is a great little kit with the previously mentioned track fit problem. I solved it for mine by shaving off the locator pins on the drive sprocket and moving it back a mm or two. Then I superglued the bejezus out of the sprockets. 3yrs later, no problems.

the Eduard set is also nice, but has some parts from various versions. Looking carefully at references to see what bits go on DS versions.

The metal barrel is especially nice, and can be used on to replace the so-so Warrior barrel if you are making the Scorpion conversion from Jaguar ( which is also very nice)

Mike
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 03:40 AM UTC
Thanks for all the info guys... it is really helpfull. I didn't know about Jaguar's conversion (I thought only Cromwell did Scorpion/Scimitar conversion); I'll try to look it up now...

After the search report: Jaguar makes "Early Scorpion conversion" and it goes for $15.. I think this version wasn't used in Desert Storm. Am I wrong? If it is correct then some modifications are necessary..

Mario M.
 _GOTOTOP