Hosted by Darren Baker
My first walls - comments needed
dsotm
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 07:28 AM UTC
After seeing the excellent review of Great North Roads Cottage Ruin by Vinnie http://armorama.co.uk/review/1037 I ordered one for a dio. As I will be depicting a fairly pristine structure after the first hit from a Tiger he round, I needed to do some work on the smooth inner walls to show this damage.

I hollowed out a fireplace, and the top of the chimney, revealed some brick areas, and profiled some of the broken end walls to show brick edges. I will still be adding exterior chips, washes and powders to tone down once its fixed in place. Any comments or criticism welcome

Brian

TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 07:41 AM UTC
Looks pretty good so far. I think your bricks need an overall wash. Also, ive never seen a yellow type of brick like that, it would probobly look better if you painted it grey. After your done with the wash, go back and dry brush individual bricks with a redish black color, than maybe sommore with a reddish white color. Also, fill that gap inbetween the two walls on the second picture. Good luck, keep us posted.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 07:58 AM UTC
Brian,
It certainly looks different to mine, I'm just finishing it now! You've inflicted a lot of damage! What made you hollow out the fireplace like that and what are you going to use the original fireplace for now?

Vinnie
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 09:35 AM UTC
Very good job! In my opinion, a bit too large, but again it's an opinion! I like the way you worked the bricks out! All you need now is to weather the walls very well! Congratulations!
Cheers and happy modelling!
Prato
dsotm
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 09:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian,
It certainly looks different to mine, I'm just finishing it now! You've inflicted a lot of damage! What made you hollow out the fireplace like that and what are you going to use the original fireplace for now?

Vinnie

Because I just discovered that I my kit is missing the chimney, fireplace, and cellar doors - I did not go back and reread the article after it arrived, just went ahead and built it . In any case, the fireplace would need a certain amount of hollowing to bring it in line with the chimney flue.

I will contact Great North roads tomorrow about the missing parts

Brian
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 10:02 AM UTC
Brian, I've e-mailed this thread to Simon at Great North Roads so I'm sure he'll read this.

Vinnie
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 10:36 AM UTC
I really like the outside walls - nicely done. Make some bricks different shades of red.
The top edge of the chimney wall is very straight and clean, I would add some jagged edges.
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 08:49 PM UTC
A little quick tip on filling the gap use a little white glue, then come back with a damp Qtip to clean off the excess... Looks good, as before mentioned I would give some variation of color to the bricks. Were you going to do any of the mortar between the bricks? That is always a nice touch. Looking good.
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 09:25 PM UTC
Looks very good to me for now! Keep it going that ways and im sure you'll end up with a marvelous work,

Mirko
dsotm
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 09:42 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments and tips!

Quoted Text

Were you going to do any of the mortar between the bricks?

Although you cannot see it here, there is a light mortar colour between the bricks - if I make it any more prominent it would look look too vivid close up

Quoted Text

The top edge of the chimney wall is very straight and clean, I would add some jagged edges.

I'm not sure which area you mean. There are jagged edges on the outside of the chimney, and the top of the stack will be laying on the ground in the finished dio. I will also be adding some slats and roof tiles
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 09:52 PM UTC
I was referencing the peak wall on the inside (1st picture right top)
I think though that if you add roof rafters etc it won't matter.
dsotm
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 08:42 PM UTC
Having said earlier that I did not receive certain parts in this kit I wish to retract this and apologise to Simon at Great North Roads. Chatted to him this morning, and although I cannot find them, I am sure I had a senior moment and the fault is on my side. These products are fantastic. and I would not want my stupidity put anyone off using them

I did not know that they are made not from P of P but a ceramic which is much easier to paint. I will say that working them with a Micro Detailer is an absolute snap, and all of the work I did on the inside walls took around 1.5 - 2 hrs to accomplish

Brian
 _GOTOTOP