_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-80UD fuel drums
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hi All,
Is the positioning of the auxilary fuel drums on the Zvezda T-80UD correct? I've not been able to find any pics of a UD showing this configuration with the drums mounted on top of the engine deck. All other T-80 pics have them mounted hanging from the tank's rear. All help appreciated.
Tom
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 03:20 PM UTC
In short, yes. IIRC, the spot over the engine was meant to carry extra fuel (the Turbine is a fuel hog) and was not plumbed into the fuel system.

In practical use, they were not used much, I have only seen one photo of them in use, but crewmen did use empty drums to store personal gear . :-)
allycat
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 10:50 PM UTC
Thanks Jacques,
But I thought the UD was the diesel engined version?
Would they still ignore the ability to carry extra fuel? And withthem mounted on top of the engine deck how does the gunner know when to stop traversing the turret to the rear. He could damage the gun or the drums.
Tom
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 01:33 AM UTC
Sorry Tom,

The Zvezda T-80UD I am assuming is based on the DML kit T-80 SMT-1989. In that case, yes, it is a -UD. I still think the Russians were fuel use sensative, so they would still want to retain the extra fuel carrying capacity.

BTW, here is a link to my T-80 page ( I need to update it) with the picture of the T-80 with the drum on the back: http://mmfs0.tripod.com/reviews/t80/index.htm

As for how to drive around and shoot...IIRC, SOP was to load the tank only for use in the field, not in Depot or such, and to use this fuel up first...(move to assebly point, refuel from drum over engine, drop barrel...move to contact using fuel from rear mounted drums...once in contact those rear drums could be ejected to reduce fire hazard by use of explosive bolts.) Confused? :-)

Anyhow, I hope this helps keep you going.
allycat
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 02:01 AM UTC
Thanks for the linkJacques.
tom
 _GOTOTOP