_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Sorry to see a friend go
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:23 AM UTC
Today I contacted a friend that i had made at a modeling show last spring. I contacted him to ask about the show this next month in Kansas City. I hadn't seen him in Armorama in a few weeks and was kinda concerned. I did convince him to joinbig A as he had been a lurker and recognized my dio at the show. I told him he wouldn't find a better site to join than Armorama, it would be a wonderful place to be a member its a family here and he would love it here. I guess I was wrong. After talking to him he told me he posted some of his work in the space/sci fi forum and was slammed for 5 paragraphs by one of our members saying his work looked like toys. I dont understand this he has had articles published in FSM on occasion. I didn't think this was possible on Armorama. Needless to say Rick wont be back and he feels no one here will miss him. I don't know why I am posting this, or if this is the correct place to put it. I just felt other members should know. Thanks for reading this. Kevin
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:43 AM UTC
I just went through the Sci-fi forum to the beginning of June looking for posts by unfamiliar names and found none with low numbers that had any kind of big time negative feedback. Can you point us to the thread he's talking about?
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 12:06 PM UTC
Al, here is the thread
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/53621&page=1
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 12:48 PM UTC
Kevin I just went through that thread twice and can see none of the '5 paragraphs' etc. I wonder if your friend is a bit thin skinned as I would not even rate that thread as 'Mild' let alone towards the upper end of the scale.

cheers
Cliff
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 01:03 PM UTC
I too looked at this a few times, and I'm a bit stumped myself.. I don't see any bad negative feedback, and I'm also not sure who was offended in the first place.. I tried the gallery, but there seem to be no pictures in the gallery of the only person who could be meant to be offended..
On a general note, I know that we are usually good with feedback, being kind but also honest rather than just massaging each others ego's. If a reasonable, personal, opinion on one occasion would cause someone to turn away that's very unfortunate, but on the whole I think that we have the balance on Armorama just right.

Cheers
Henk
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 01:06 PM UTC
Kevin, your friend is taking this a little too harshly. from my point of view not knowing many people on here, could find nothing bad about the posting. Rick should reconsider his leaving.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 01:47 PM UTC
I have to agree I had to hunt for the thread and it didnt appear to be as bad as I was lead to beleive. Regardless it is sad he left and I will continue to try to get him to come back. Kevin
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 02:42 PM UTC
Looks like he was searching for a reason to quit the site. Don't push people to join, let them come back on their own. Most do eventually come back.

BTW, I read that thread and don't see anything bad said, just two differences in opinion and they both agreed to disagree. Rather civil "arguement" (if you can call it that) that ended very maturely and friendly.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 02:56 PM UTC
When you said your friend was a lurker I just figured he had never posted much. I remember reading many of Rick's (MiamiJHawks) posts and enjoyed them. I am sorry that he felt his work was being unduly criticized. It was only one guy though. And after all, we all have our own unique opinions about things.

I hope he reconsiders and decides to stay involved in the site.

Cheers,
Jim
Black_Water
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 03:07 PM UTC
I've talked about this with RIck a few times as well, and he still seems pretty steadfast in his decision. I also don't find anything harsh about that post, and you can see that I haven't really been here much. It's just the kind of guy Rick is, I guess. All I can really do is keep trying to persuade him, but at the same time not strain our friendship. If he eventually decides to come back, that'd be great. He really is a great guy and always welcome in my book.

Chris
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:05 PM UTC
I have met Rick too, I am sad to see him go. He is a good guy and I too encourage him to join. This distresses me. I will have to see the thread to make up my own mind. I've looked at the thread, what little I do know about him, and chatted with him. I know that he is a trained fine artist/graphic artist, and a good one at that. Being a trained artist myself, and perfessionally so, I could see how he could have been offended. Take a moment and think about it, if you read the thread and take it from his point of view it does kind of slam his profession. Not that any of you knew of his profession, or his personal style of producing his art.

So yes, in my opinion I can understand his disgust to a degree. Although I would say he proably took it too much to heart. I think what people have to remember is that these fourms are lacking one thing: that face to face connection. The personal touch if you will, I can say myself that e-mails/posts and so on, have on one or more occasions gotten me in to trouble because I took something differently in written form than I would have had it been a face to face discussion. I have seen many disagreements here at "A" and have even taken part in a few controversial issues, but I try to take into consideration the lack of impersonal knowledge...
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:28 PM UTC
It is indeed a pity to lose a member... hopefully this will only be temporary, and Rick will come back to the warm fold that is Armorama... I too enjoyed communicating with him from time to time..
Although I agree somewhat with Paul, I have to admit that perhaps the comments were taken to heart a bit too much... For an artist, critique is an everyday fact of life... And not everyone is going to like your work...
I can only think that perhaps the thread noted here was not the only one... perhaps there are more...

Anyway... bottomline is what I said in my opening stanza... hopefully this will only be temporary, and Rick will come back to the warm fold that is Armorama...

Rudi
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like he was searching for a reason to quit the site. Don't push people to join, let them come back on their own. Most do eventually come back.

I concur 100% with this.

I am however, totally confused by a) This post and b)The contentious post. In the case of the latter, I have looked at it two or three times and I fail to see anything which could cause offence at all.

Can we please get back to what we do best, modelling?...Jim
 _GOTOTOP