_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
The "tartan Pimpernel" FV 432
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 05:53 AM UTC
I've just been visiting my favourite drool site again, "Accurate Armour" and once again wished I could have what they have.

This is a quote from the site:

"The FV432 APC is the most numerous British Post War AFV, designed by GKN as a 'Battlefield taxi' for infantry, similar to, but better protected and mobile than the American M113. The basic APC nicknamed 'Trojan', was produced between 1963 and 1971 and can carry a full section of infantry in addition to the two man crew.

With the introduction of Warrior, the FV432 ceased to be used as an APC, but still serves in many units. many hundreds' served in the Gulf War of 1990-91 and many still serve today in all British Army theatres of operation".

Why is this important vehicle still ignored by most manufacturers? It is still found just about everywhere the British Army serves (except NI). In Germany I see many of them daily!

Sorry, didn't mean to rant again... Well, yes I did actually... I won't feel better for it till they produce them in 1/35.

ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 08:15 AM UTC
It probably would have helped if the FV432 had been exported more. With all the different M113s around the world there is still a good demand for the basic M113 kit.

If it came out in plastic right now that would sure piss off the guys at AA. Like the Chally 2, AS-90 and the Strv 103.

Paul
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 10:40 AM UTC
Mhm, true!

But if it had come out in Metal when "The Reds" (Hi guys) were going to overwhelm us then the super secret FV432 would no longer have been a super secret like wot it is now... Would it?

Ah, the Cold War was great fun!

Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 10:45 AM UTC
Just a thought, considering the 6815 variations of the 430 series, (I seriously believe the Chally 2 and AS90 was based on it) how much extra money could AA etc generate with all the addons?

I just want a basic kit (really without strangle marks on me neck from SWMBO).

_GOTOTOP