_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
External links...
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 09:56 AM UTC
Howdy,

I'm wondering if there would be a possibility of having external links (product announcements etc) opened up into a new window? Kind of hate to get deep into an ext. link from Armorama and not getting back too easily. Especially now where there's no (easy) way to log off Armorama.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 10:19 AM UTC
Kevin,
Do you mean links inside news articles? Give me an example and I can probbably fix it for future additions.

And I know we have kicked this around in other topics but why do you feel the need to logout? From a technical standpoint the only reason there is a logout feature is because:

1. A user might need to logout to allow another user to login.
2. A user or staff member might be on a public computer and worried someone else might use their account.
3. Logging out sometimes helps with cookie related problems (kills cookie and a new one is created when logging back in).

After 10-15 minutes of no activity you are automatically removed from the active users list. When you return to the site your cookie re-logs you in without you having to do it.

If anyone needs to logout the button is located on your "My Account" page.

Thanks,
Jim
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 01:40 PM UTC
I guess that it's a habit to close the door when I leave. If there is no need to log out, then I won't. I've noticed myself logged on some 24 hours or so later and thought that might be an issue.

Re: external links:

I went to check the decalomaniacs news release note and went out to their site, eventually venturing deeper into ebay. Fearing that I was still logged on to A, I back-tracked about a dozen or so clicks to get back here. (Could've just hit the history button I suppose) I just thought that maybe it would be good to open up someone's (external) link in another window therefore not losing sight of Armorama.

No sweat if it's ok with you.
 _GOTOTOP