_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
About to embark on my very first armor build
smithery
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 01:43 AM UTC
Well, after years of building basically everything but armor, I've decided to focus my attention on subjects formerly known to me solely as targets. I may even attempt a diorama.

I have decided to start with something relatively simple. My first build will be the 1:35 Tamiya Krupp Protze. Nothing fancy, and if I write it off, I'm not out a ton of money.

I figure this is a good platform to start with, so I can learn the ins and outs of weathering armor, not to mention build sequence.

Any tips for an aircraft builder coming in from the cold?

armorguy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 01:48 AM UTC
Welcome to the ranks Kevin. I would think that most, if not all, of the techniques that you've learned building aircraft will apply to building armor. You will probably do quite well. There may be certain things here or there for you to learn that you didn't do much of on aircraft, like recreating rust, but we're all still learning that stuff.

Oh, and watch out! You may never go back to the birds!
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 01:51 AM UTC
go easy, enjoy every step, and remeber this, every mistake can be easily covered with equipment, a sitting figure or lots of mud!

;-) and post pictures of progress, than we can help you more with usefull advices!

cheers
Mirko
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 02:07 AM UTC
That's a good kit to start with. The nice thing about building a wheeled military vehicle is that a lot of weathering hints can be obtained by watching pickup trucks, Jeeps and construction vehicles on your local highways. Pay attention to the way the mud collects around the tires, under fenders, etc.

These vehicles did not accumulate a lot of rust like you'd find on an old jalopy but some rust occured around bolt heads and around any body damage.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, and watch out! You may never go back to the birds!

I can personally vouch for that!

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Jeff
smithery
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 06:46 AM UTC
Thanks for the responses folks. One of reasons for switching to armor was to learn and practice my weathering techniques.

Quoted Text

every mistake can be easily covered with equipment, a sitting figure or lots of mud!

I espeically like the sound of this. I had gotten used to "strategically placed" oil and/or exhaust stains.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 08:57 AM UTC
Welcome to the world of armor builders! After looking at your Phantom you should have no trouble with these TARGETS! :-) Let's see some pictures along the way.

Rick
 _GOTOTOP