_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1A1D tanks gone
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 01:59 AM UTC
The M1A1D Abrams tank is a version of the M1A1("HA") that had the digital integrated applique computer package added so the tanks could "talk" to the digitized M1A2 and M1A2SEP tanks. All 95 tanks have been taken out of service and the technical manuals considered obsolete and directed to be disposed of.

This version had a fairly short life.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 02:24 AM UTC
Interesting. Any reason why they are being phased out? Are the M1A1 AIMs now being fully digitized and that is why the specific D version is no more? Or is it simply a monetary issue? We aren't really using all the digital suites in current ops, so save some money and take them out / stop installing them.
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 12:52 AM UTC
I honestly don't know the "official" answer, but from my understanding, the M1A1D was never intended to be a long-term model. When I was a younger SGT, one of the tasks we had was to instruct some of the guys from 4ID how to plumb and sync them, back in 1999(I think, years ago). Sitting in it, had the M1A2 suite for the gunner(GCDP, FCEU, DAHA), and that's about it, besides the mounting hardware for some applique FBCB2 hardware(screens weren't installed yet). The FSR that was there with us to make sure there were no issues explained that although not experimental, it was not designed for long term, mostly for 4ID to work systems, and "troubleshoot" issues of modifying M1A1's to the D type.

Now that the AIM is out, I don't know if it has the Fire Control upgrades or not, but after getting here to Knox, it definitely seems to be something that will be staying around for a bit longer, since it replaces many of the hardware items that were issues one the M1A1 with newer, more efficient technology(at least that's what the SME from the MG branch told me over the phone when I had to look into it)

Knowing my memory, something's probably wrong up there, but it's an early morning on a 4-day weekend. *chuckle*

Jed Sargent
 _GOTOTOP