_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
German uniform color
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 05:54 AM UTC
Hello,

I have acrylic meduim grey is there any way to mix any other colors to get feild grey is it lighter or darker.

Thanks PFC
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC
pfc....field gray is a greenish grey....many comapanies make a field gray....I use Tamiya acrylics one and it is right on when it comes to the actual uniforms I have owned.....but what I do is buy everyone's field gray because each one is a little different and each piece of german uniform was also different........when you look at a german in his uniform the chances of the pants being the exact colour as the jacket are very small....different dye lots......different time being worn and getting washed more or faded in the sun more.....these are all factors which lead to a more realistic model.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 10:28 AM UTC
FeldGrau was 25% Olive Green (not drab) and 75% Neutral Gris (which is exactly 50% black and 50% white). So the formula to make your own is :

25% Olive
37% Black
37% White

But this was a "DYE" color... and each lot of dy would be different... so using a wide variety of "near colors" looks most realistic. i take my feldgrau and add a few drops of brown to one batch, some French Blue to another, and perhaps some beige to a third batch. And then of course, you can always mix the batches together as well!
 _GOTOTOP