_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Requested; Your Impressions of Skiff models
RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 01:09 AM UTC
This company seems to have some interesting subjects and offers alot of stuff noone else does. What do guys think of their quality??
armormike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 01:23 AM UTC
These kits aren't bad. The directions can be a bit of a challenge. With time a patience they can be very good. They however are not of the DML, Tamiya, etc quality. Think more like 1970's testor(italeri) when you buy them.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 01:49 AM UTC
Agree with Michael above. They are definitely worth their price, which is usually pretty low. The detail can be soft, but they usually come with some nice features like PE included, or the partial intirior on their T-55. With some work, they can end up looking great.
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 07:15 PM UTC
i got the T-55AM and it's okay..not as easy as tamiya. a little challenging on building but it turned out pretty well. added a few details and scratchbuilt parts.

i'll post some pictures later on.
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 09:58 PM UTC
HI

Most of their kits resemble the subjects....

They are good in that they do subjects not covered elsewehere in plastic, or even resin BUT the detail is basic and in some cases questionable. You will need aftermarket to bring them up to a certain degree of realism. Etch, barrels, tracks etc .

Tom
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

HI

Most of their kits resemble the subjects....

They are good in that they do subjects not covered elsewehere in plastic, or even resin BUT the detail is basic and in some cases questionable. You will need aftermarket to bring them up to a certain degree of realism. Etch, barrels, tracks etc .

Tom

No fair Tom, 4:58 is an indecent hour to go posting...
I'm stuck saying "Ditto" again.

Skif make the only injection molded BMP3, MTLB, T64's in town. There are more I know, but it's early here.

The BMP3 needs LOADS of work to make displaying the interior an option, likewise for the MTLB.
Their T55 is supposedly a step BACKWARDS from even the Esci kit. Like Tom said, it's all a mess.

I think of Skif kits like building airplanes, it's ok if you do it in the privacy of your own home, but we don't talk about it in public, and wash your hands afterwards...

:-)

Mike
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 01:20 AM UTC
I've found their Braille scale stuff to be well detailed but the plastic to be very soft. It will scar or mar with the slightest slip of the knife or file.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 02:15 AM UTC
Their T-64 series is a mixed bag...the Hull/running gear is pretty decent, but the upper hull and turret need lots of TLC. The Turrets are pretty bad...the wrong shape. The tracks are horrible and dont even bother with the Skif replacement tracks..they dont even fit together unless you take a file to them!

Thankfully MiniArm makes awesome resin replacement turrets for them and a nice set of resin replacement tracks that are kind a pain to put together, since I had problems with pins snapping off that hold them together. The biggest problems with the Turrets is that the detail is so much better then what hull is, its like combining a kit made in the past 10 years with a kit made in the 1970's with the amount of detail difference.

I'm working on a T-64B right now with Miniarm stuff and some PE...I'll post some pix in the future.
 _GOTOTOP