Hosted by Darren Baker
SkyBow Panther G vs Tamiya Panther G
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 11:06 AM UTC
Although both kits are yet to be released, the information to date is that the SkyBow Panther will be an early G with zimmerit and the Tamiya Panther is a late G with "chin mantlet" and raised engine fan.
Glenn
28juni14
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 11:23 AM UTC
Hello Glenn -

Tamiya has updated their site... you can now see the box art for their PantherG.....
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
Armorama: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 12:09 PM UTC
Here is the pic

Are those steel wheels?

TIA

Steffen
28juni14
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 12:33 PM UTC
I believe they are, Steffen,... which I'm delighted to see. We shall now have two Gs to build this winter. Taking the speculation a bit further, consider SkyBow's history of model variations for the same basic vehicle.
Imagine them producing a Panter Ausf. D, or A, and perhaps a BergePanther as well. I am expecting them to do just that; sometime after releasing 3 or 4 vehicles from the PzIV chassis.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 12:45 PM UTC
There seems to be much speculation about this being a steel-wheeled version. This rumour has already been discounted and you can see by the picture that the Panther has the usual concave, rubber-tired roadwheels. The steel-wheeled Panthers had wheels similar to the King Tiger or late Prod. Tiger I but of a shorter diameter.
Glenn
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 06:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There seems to be much speculation about this being a steel-wheeled version. This rumour has already been discounted and you can see by the picture that the Panther has the usual concave, rubber-tired roadwheels. The steel-wheeled Panthers had wheels similar to the King Tiger or late Prod. Tiger I but of a shorter diameter.
Glenn

Have to agree - looks like 'standard' rubber tyred dished wheels. That's OK because (i) someone is sure to offer the other kind, and (ii) they really were not that common anyway. Skybow may well be that someone.

That aside, this looks like it will be a really neat kit! Hope they get the KwK L/70 barrel length right.

Konrad
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 03:17 AM UTC
Gee Konrad, aren't you planning to get a brass barrel for the Panther from Track48?
Glenn
Larry_dunn
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 04:29 AM UTC
Excellent news Glenn! That means I can buy both without duplication ....
28juni14
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 05:42 AM UTC
The box art does show rubber rims; my impression of it being fitted with steel wheels didn't stem from this artwork, however. I thought their last 1/35 version of the vehicle was an Ausf. G with steel wheels, and assumed this 1/48 beauty would be sporting them too. My mistake!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 06:03 AM UTC
This is a really beautiful looking tank, thanks for the update.
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gee Konrad, aren't you planning to get a brass barrel for the Panther from Track48?
Glenn

Those brass barrels are pretty cool - used a Track48 barrel on on my Bandai Panther G build and it really added a lot to the look of the finished model. Humm. I see another OOB build vanishing into the distance.

Konrad
28juni14
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 11:43 AM UTC
Looks like SkyBow's version won't be released by the end of the year(HeavySteel). Just as well; there will be so much to build with about 10 new kits releasing bfore the end of the year. I suspect the Tamiya Panther to be very nice (and hefty with the cast hull), though the SkyBow practice of casting the tube is clearly better than Tamiya's with the seam lines.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 06:58 AM UTC
The pictures of the Panther on the Tamiya site show that the Panther has the rubber-rimmed roadwheels. They look like appealing models. Good thing Track48 has more brass barrels on hand.
Marlowe
 _GOTOTOP