_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
The trenches keep getting colder
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 06:02 PM UTC
Its the winter...the snow is just falling and the trenches are freezing poeple blue. A soldier waits at his post looking at the time waiting for some thing (pehaps when he gets off his shift???...or till lunch???...till the rienforcements arrive???...any Ideas???). He stands there alone, in the cold snow of the trench looking throught the little window in the logs in front of him. The trench has a slightly warn track in it.

There is a large barrel near him with a couple grenades. He has is MG 44 (or some weapon) near him incase something happens.

The fugure is from Tamia, Soldiers at breifing.

Does anyone have any ideas for a name???...and Ideas for the dio???...and comments???

Thanks
Cris
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 09:13 PM UTC
Name: "The long hours"; "Waiting..."; "The watch..."

My thoughts are to try to capture the loneliness and boredom of sentry. He is cold, alone, and nothing is happening, but he tries to remain vigilant... Those quiet nights at a lonely sentry post are some of the longest hours I have ever spent, especially at night when you fight sleep and weariness to stay alert. A small footprint vignette, with enough trench showing to indicate the isolation of the post. Perhaps a partially buried casualty (not new, either side) out in front, tangled in the wire, to give the sentry something else to think about, and to hint at the danger.

Another thought might be the quiet conversation that occurs between the sentry and the Sergeant of the Guard as he walks the line, speaking with each sentry in turn, relieving for a moment the loneliness of the watch. This would give two figures.

Hope this helps a bit.
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 10:45 PM UTC
ARENGCA

Thanks alot!!! it helps heaps!

Cris
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 11:28 PM UTC
Being in trenches in the winter must be horrible. Not only you know that there's a fair chance there's a bullet out there waiting with your name on it : you are extremely tired and freezing your bum off. When in company or action, you stand tall. On the other hand when you're alone, I'm sure this feeling of cold and tiredness shows. There's not much room to move, so sitting still adds to the cold. If I were your soldier, I'd try to protect myself from the cold : huddle up, at least fold a blanket around me or something. Wear gloves or put hands in pockets. Waiting often means smoking a sigarette, or having something to drink too...
Jan
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 02:44 AM UTC
Nice idea - very different. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not a judge. There are some very good ideas and very skilled people in this campaign.

I like the title "The Watch....."
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Being in trenches in the winter must be horrible. Not only you know that there's a fair chance there's a bullet out there waiting with your name on it : you are extremely tired and freezing your bum off. When in company or action, you stand tall. On the other hand when you're alone, I'm sure this feeling of cold and tiredness shows. There's not much room to move, so sitting still adds to the cold. If I were your soldier, I'd try to protect myself from the cold : huddle up, at least fold a blanket around me or something. Wear gloves or put hands in pockets. Waiting often means smoking a sigarette, or having something to drink too...
Jan

Good thoughts. I was thinking of posture, too. Shoulders hunched up, head pulled into the collar of the jacket, arms wrapped around himself, maybe hands in pockets. If he has a cigarette, he will hold it cupped in his hand, to hide the light from the enemy. (A lot of sentries have discovered that showing a light means getting dead.) He may be stomping and shuffling his feet, leaving a small area of footprints in the snow on the ground.

I like the mental picture that this is generating. I'd love to see the pictures if you do it.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 04:43 AM UTC
A title..... ? How about Frozen Hours ?
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 306 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 04:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

He may be stomping and shuffling his feet, leaving a small area of footprints in the snow on the ground.

I'm from a fairly mild part of Canada so the weathers not too bad, but I had a cousin from up in the shield and in kindergarten they gave him lessons on staying warm in emergencies. He said one of the basics was move your feet all the time, and keep your kidneys protected. You lose alot of heat through your head, but warm feet and kidneys give you the illusion of warmth and keep you comfortable.

You know this all reminded me its November, I'll be expecting alot of this in the next couple weeks

Jeff

For a title how about "The waiting is the hardest part"

Sorry Tom Petty was on the radio and its stuck in my head
 _GOTOTOP