_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Amphibs LVT4
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 437 posts
Armorama: 292 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC
Here is my entry into the Amphibs campaign. It is Italeri's LVT(A)4. OOB with a few items from the spares box. The basket on the rear of the turret was scratched from brass mesh. I appreciate your comments

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 03:04 PM UTC
That's great! I like the weathering. I have an LVT4 Water Buffalo in the works
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 05:18 PM UTC
Nice, great touch with the basket. Nice weathering.
Should fill in the hole/seam across the front. You can do it with add on armor or just putty. Really a nice job.

Congrats,
Bob
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 06:06 PM UTC
Very very nice
Ive been looking for a new project , something different from allied eto armour , after seeing your LVT4 i think a trip to my lhs may be in order ,
How was the build, any major problems ????

ian
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 07:01 PM UTC
Mike,

That's an awesome good looking amphib!
I like the weathering and you did a great job on the details. It's a real beauty!
Did you use Future: the model seems to have a little shine, and I think it gives a great effect!

I only have 2 little nitpicks:
- In the 3th picture I noticed the track does not fit / link correct (under the turret). I think that has to do with the quality of the track (one piece vinyl tracks?)
- The blanket on the last picture is shiny (could be the picture) and in my opinion would look bether with a matt-coat applied.

But that's all I have for nitpicking! Once again: it's a great looking model!

Paul
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 12:07 AM UTC
Job well done !
I'm not in the WWII but I like this amphib. It has a dinosaur look. Don't ask me why I think so

Your entry is really nice. The only thing I see you could change is the position of the jerrycans at the back of the turret. They would not be stowed like that if they were full but maybe they're just empty

olivier
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 437 posts
Armorama: 292 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 01:33 AM UTC
Guys,

thanks for your comments. Alan, I'm looking forward to seeing yours. I did use Future for the decals and followed up with a final flat coat. Ian and Paul, the only problems I encountered were with the tracks. They are two piece vinyl. I followed my usual technique for these kinds of tracks (base acrylic, then oil washes) and it must have been the turpentine in the wash but they began to break apart. One side is now in 6 pieces. The only way I could salvage was to glue each section onto the wheels. Bob, I'm not sure about that seam. It is assembled with a tight fit and the gap does not go all the way through to the interior. It may be the way its supposed to be?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One side is now in 6 pieces. The only way I could salvage was to glue each section onto the wheels.

I have real phobia for Italeri vinyl tracks ( and now add Trumpeter to this list as well). I refuse to use them for the reason above, among others.

Excellent finish Mike. You really make the best of the vehicle. As MonkeyGun said, Id wanna run out and build it myself, and probably would have already done that, it it wasn´t for those Tracks. All it needs is a gunner or commander to give it some life and sense of scale, to be a really fine presentation.

Does anybody make aftermearket tracks for these?
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 02:24 AM UTC
This gives you kind of an idea.

Try here, LVT
Has reference photos and such for both up-armored and not. The seam is there it's just not a gap, sort of a welded seam.

I'm sure someone has better examples.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Sorry just saw the track question.
LVT track
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 02:25 AM UTC
I had no problems putting my LVT together. In fact it was probably the easiest kit I ever built. I thought the traks would be a bear being two pieces but I just used the traditional melt the pins technique and all is well.

Here is my LVT4 so far prior to weathing.

I'm putting mine into an Iwo Jima dio
 _GOTOTOP