Tamiya 1/48 T-34/76 track problem
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
Armorama: 264 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi there

Is anyone else having problems with the T-34/76 Track. I did mine as per instructions and they look short. Here is a photo of the model

Here is the scene I want to model.

I'm willing to believe it was my fault -- I wondered from the start what the heck the forward idler wheels are fixed with polycaps -- but where is the mistake??

BTW apprx 1 link is to be inserted to get the look of the picture, but as the tracks are of 2 different types you can only include 2 track links and then the track is much too long

I'm desperate, PLEASE HELP!

Steffen
28juni14
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 04:26 AM UTC
Hallo Steffen!

Yes, Tamiya has designed the track length to fit with the idler wheel in the extreme reverse position!
You must add two tracksections to the upper and lower lengths. After pivoting the idler arm forward they will space the track perfectly to close that annoying empty space to the front fender.
If you browse the Quarterscalearmor site you will note an exchange I had months before on this subject.
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 04:34 AM UTC
Hello Emil

Thanks for that comment. I will look for that thread.

BTW I tried to include the 2 links and I had the problem that the idler would not be in touch with the track, but i will try again

best wishes

Steffen
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 05:55 AM UTC
Well I tried ...

and as I said there is approximately one link too much:

I sawed one link above a wheel, so you will not see the missing guide horn. My solution is surely not the best but as I will put it into a diorama not visible (and I believe if you do not know you would not find it )

great forum :-) thanks!

Steffen
28juni14
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 10:38 AM UTC
Steffen -

My exchange on Yahoo QuarterScaleArmor starts with message # 3031...way back in May when we first saw images of the new tank. We were on it then, even sent messages to Tamiya-USA regarding the error, but they responded with "..it's only a prototype... production kits will be just fine...".
You might want to see one Garfileld's build of the kit in the gallery on Track48. Better yet, ask him where he made the link insertions! Understand he responds to messages on his forum.

Emil
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 02:02 PM UTC
haven't had a chance to try this kit yet but Garfield has built it and he is very helpful if asked about things. He responds to questions on this fourum but you might want to try the quarter scale forum as well. You can try this link to the forum. http://www.network54.com/Forum/433829
Winston
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 06:56 PM UTC
Emil and Winston many thanks for your hints I will have another look at Garfields T-34 (I totally forgot about that) . OTOH My tracks are done and I'm ok with them (see above).

I also know the track 48 forum and I post there, but I thought I would get a faster response on armorama, as here is a little more traffic. (deadline is september 28 ... )

thanks again and best wishes

Steffen
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 03:27 AM UTC
Steffen -

I have also found that fitting the link and length tracks to the new Tamiyas you have to test fit a bit to get them to come together nicely.

Thanks for the heads up on the T-34, as it is on my build schedule - I will fiddle with the tracks to make sure I can fit in the needed two extra links at the front to get the idler to sit in the right plave - from your experience it looks like it is important to keep the joints tight over the run to maximize the room up front.

Konrad
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 04:49 AM UTC
Konrad,

as I wrote in Garfields forum cutting might be avoidable if you can work with the whole track. I had the problem that the rear end was already glued in place and I could only adjust at the front half of the track. So in the end I could not get 2 links in and had to cut one out.

Viele Grüße

Steffen
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 02:33 PM UTC
I've recently added my solution to the T34 track problem on the Track 48 forum, it entails bending the foward most link on the bottom run upwards, and removing the single link in the front, in essence removing 2 links, you'll have to move the return idler forward, which might not be to your liking, but it does work.

Frank
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 06:57 PM UTC
Frank many thanks!

and welcome on board. I only recently joined it and it is a lot of knowledg and fun.

I read your comment over at Track48 --- thanks also for that. Sometimes I'm a bit lazy, sorry for not responding there.

3-4 models a month is really impressive!!

I'm looking forward to see your other models ...

best regards

Steffen
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC
The T-34 is going to be finished

If you like see more pictures HERE

still a lot of work to do. The exhaust pipes, headlight, some more washes, filters and pigments and finally the dio

thanks for your attention

Steffen
Larry_dunn
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hey Steffen, that looks very nice.

Personally, I'm looking forward to just going out of the box with the quarter scale stuff, or maybe just the modest Lion Roar sets that give you a little of this and a little of that. Glad to see that the AM wealth is really pouring into the scale now, for those who want to superdetail the little quarter scale offerings.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 05:35 AM UTC
The real advantage of 48th scale, is the relative ease of putting together these kits, even After Market conversions and add-ons are simple in relation to 35th scale kits. Here is a list of AM sets I'm looking foward to... Azimut Firefly Hibrid 1c conv., Azimut M4A1 76mm conv., LionMark Model Designs Tiger 1 (Skybow) cooling fan set, MR models Achilles update set, MR models M4A2 conv., and lastly the CMK SturmTiger conv. for the Tamiya Tiger (includes steel wheels). I'm currently working on the MB Firefly 1c conv. for the Tamiya M4, should be done soon...

Frank
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hello Larry

many thanks for your kind comment. As Frank wrote the kits are easy to assemble and to detail. E.g. the Hauler sets just contain what will improve the kit --- no super-dooper 400 pieces workable lock for the glove box.

Not to be taken wrong: I admire those who put above 70 % of an ABER set in their 1/35 armour kits ! I just think many smaller parts would not make sense on a 1/48 kit and so it is easy to build those kits.

Frank, as for the CMK kit. I already do regret buying an old Gasoline conversion for the Bandai and filing it to fit the Tamiya. It could have been so much easier, enjoyable and more detailed ...

Still a lot of work to do

Steffen
tal_martini
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Larry

many thanks for your kind comment. As Frank wrote the kits are easy to assemble and to detail. E.g. the Hauler sets just contain what will improve the kit --- no super-dooper 400 pieces workable lock for the glove box.

Not to be taken wrong: I admire those who put above 70 % of an ABER set in their 1/35 armour kits ! I just think many smaller parts would not make sense on a 1/48 kit and so it is easy to build those kits.

Frank, as for the CMK kit. I already do regret buying an old Gasoline conversion for the Bandai and filing it to fit the Tamiya. It could have been so much easier, enjoyable and more detailed ...

Still a lot of work to do

Steffen

The CMK conversion looks definetly better while looking at the boxing:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-4/989774/CMK8001.jpg

Martin

_GOTOTOP