Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya new releases
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 - 07:03 AM UTC
I had a look at the Russian infantry from Tamiya on the Tamiya USA site and they look very good. I've never modelled anything from the Eastern Front before but I'm tempted after seeing these fellows. I can't wait to see the dioramas with these guys on them. The Panther G will come with a choice of mantlets and exhaust suppressors. The M4A1 is described aa having a choice of mantlets and transmissoin housings so a variety of production models can be made. Combined with the upcoming Trumpeter series of Shermans, the diorama possibilities are almost limitless. Personaly, I'm looking forward to the re-release of Bandai's 88mm gun too.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/coming_soon.php?sub-id=10500
GLenn
28juni14
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 02:11 AM UTC
Glenn - Sorry to see your announcement go without comment. Obviously this site is quite dead.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Glenn - Sorry to see your announcement go without comment. Obviously this site is quite dead.

Sorry?...Jim
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 03:13 AM UTC
Thanks Emil, but the post has had a number of views so that is the important thing. Frank Berger has posted the url on his Heavy-Steel site for those wanting to see pictures showing the new Tamiya kits: the two versions of the Panther, the MKIV, M-10, Panzer Grenadiers and the Russian infantry with a T34--very impressive. I think the 48 forum is slowing down because it has been awhile since there were any new kits released. As I've said before, 2005 is the year of 48 scale being re-established. By the New Year with Tamiya offerings, SkyBow, Trumpeter and Bandai kits available, there should be more enthusiasm. Once again, take a look at the on the tools and tool stowage which is part of the mold on the SkyBow kits. I'm surprised every modeler hasn't treated themselves to this kit.
Glenn
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 06:40 AM UTC
Glenn,

Are you sure about the optional transmission housing on the upcomming M4A1, if so ,...I'll hold off doing my Canadian Firefly 1c conversion, as I'll need the one piece housing...

Thanks for keeping us posted...

Frank Portela
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 06:44 AM UTC
I guess we should know by Friday. I expect that Frank will have info on his site and that someone will post on the Track48 discussion forum. the picture I saw of the Panther had the optional pieces showing as well, so there is a choice of exhausts, raised or low rear engine vent and mantlet, with or without chin.
Glenn
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Unlike other sites you may frequent, most of the regulars here will not post a reply just to up their post count.

No offense intended to the original poster, but this same information was already posted to this site almost 3 weeks ago: Tamiya Armor Round-Up - 48th & 35th Scale Armor... This news story has 1100 reads, hardly a "dead" site.

That's most likely the reason for the lack of immediate response from regular members. Armorama is a lot more than just a message board/forum. If all you do is head for the forums, you're missing out on a lot of good content.

Again, no offense intended towards Marlowe(Glenn). Please continue to post 1/48 scale news and information as you see fit.

I'd like to see the return of the Bandai 88mm too. I wonder if Dragon would consider reducing their nice 1/35 scale 88mm down to 1/48 scale. Now that would be a winner.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 07:35 AM UTC
No offence taken--I just like to keep modellers informed on what's new in 1/48 since it is my favourite scale and would like to see it re-established. I didn't know this had already been posted elsewhere as this is the only forum I read.
Glenn
What does it mean to keep up a post count? Are you removed as a member if you don't ?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 07:49 AM UTC
In reference to your questions about "post count" If you notice, there are a series of military ranks awarded. The more you post, the higher your ranks go. Some folks (very few) have posted just to increase the number to advance their rank. We've had a few post 50 or more times a day with one or two word comments. As Sabot pointed out, it isn't as much the comments but the reads when you make an annoucement of a new product. If you are asking about some way to improve your modelling skills, or what is the best kit or a type of model you want to build, expect a lot of responses.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 08:02 AM UTC
Some people post short and simple replies to everything just to see their rank increase. Your rank increases as your post count gets higher (see the Forum FAQ link near the top and bottom of each page). Your membership is not dependent on your post count.

I'm a fan of 1/48 scale since I got my armor start building the old Aurora armor kits. I've been a big fan of Bandai since I first ran across their kits in 1987. I have a few, I just won't pay collector's prices for them.

I've picked up the new 1/48 scale Tamiya kits as I see them. I think they are pretty good overall, but that Skybow Tiger looks really nice. I still have a few of the old motorized 1/48 scale Tamiya kits and the 1/48 scale Zhengdefu kits that came out in the mid 90s.
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 356 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 08:12 AM UTC
Dead site my ass! It takes me a couple hours plus to get through all the new postings each day.

Dead site...hahahahahahahaha
(falls off seat laughing)
hahahahahahaha
28juni14
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 09:40 AM UTC
Somebody help EasyOff back to his chair!! His continued laughter is destablizing this forum!!!
Isn't it amazing how a cynical comment can ruffle feathers, and get us going again?
Forgive me good fellows, but I am of the opinion we must reinforce one another from time to time, for we are few,... and only by provoking interest will our numbers increase.
EasyOff
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 356 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 11:12 AM UTC
Emil, my feathers aren't ruffled, I just took advantage of an opportunity to be even more temporarily insaine than I normaly am.

Look Grumpyoldman, Butterflies!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

even more temporarily insaine than I normaly am.

15 years+ doesn't qualify as "temporary"!
28juni14
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 12:55 PM UTC
...you know..., we all have to be a few bubbles off to swim against the 1/35 current.... , But we may be causing a wee of a wirlpool out there....
Nick61
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 08:44 PM UTC
Greetings All

As my father keeps reminding me nothing worth having is easy I'm glad to see interest in 48th scale as my hand eye co ordination isn't up to Braille scale any more.
As soon as I get home I'm starting a Sherman BARV from the Tamiya offering. I've already noticed that Hauler do German and American tool sets so 48th is already ahead of 76th scale in one way :-)
For UK market a Churchill and Centurion would be fantastic but I'll be happy with what's there at the moment. If the Sherman Vc Firefly appears I'll be one happy bunny in any case.

Regards
Nick
28juni14
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:43 AM UTC
Hello Nick!

Yes, there is a stiring of interest in 1/48 scale again. You must post some pics of your project "in progress", If not here then the Track48 site.
Concerning Brit vehicles, I too have a wish list for them.
Before a Churchill though, I'd like to see Tamiya do there Cromwell in 1/48. Then back to the N.African theatre for a Crusader, and perhaps the 25pdr Chevy quad set. After those are released, you may then have your Churchill...!
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 06:21 AM UTC
Take a quick look at the wish list posting on Track48, the more entries that we as a group can post, the greater the possibility of one of these companies (Tamiya, Skybow, Trumpeter) to acknowledge our presence.....and begin to LISTEN TO US!!!

Frank
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 06:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Take a quick look at the wish list posting on Track48, the more entries that we as a group can post, the greater the possibility of one of these companies (Tamiya, Skybow, Trumpeter) to acknowledge our presence.....and begin to LISTEN TO US!!!

I admire your optimism, but in truth, unless you provide the companies with serious, documented material, they simply won't listen to you. If you present a complete 'package' to a manufacturer, through an actual contact, then you might get somewhere. Otherwise, all the 'write-in' campaigns in the world are going to get you precisely nowhere. The truth is, the companies are too busy to read (in many cases) all the feedback they receive, many times they get suggestions which are useless to them. Model companies are business entities first and foremost. If an idea has commercial potential, they may well run with it. They are dominated by business, not sentiment...Jim
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 07:35 AM UTC
I would agree with you if we were discussing 35th scale armour, with the seemingly limitless releases, but we're not..... this is the embryonic stage in a scale that most of us (France exempted) have long ignored.

Think of the limited sites and forums within sites that are geared towards 48th armour,... very limited. How many kits have been released this year in 35th, I would guess that you couldn't tell me..... I and the 20 to 30 odd contributers to the 48th scale forums can, to a person, tell you how many recent releases are available, and how many are scheduled to be released....

I'm guessing that the three companies geared to 48th are paying attention,.... then again I could be way off......

Frank
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 09:36 AM UTC
For the fellow working on the BARV, check out the Allied Gallery section on Track48 for Dirk Heyer's remarkable M32 wrecker for inspiration. As for Jim's comment about our effect on the model companies; the way we are approaching it by posting our interests on these forums will have an impact because these comments are read by people in the business (Heavy-Steel) who have contacts with many Asian model making companies.
Marlowe
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 07:57 PM UTC
Just before I get 'flamed' for my comments, they weren't made as an attack against 1/48th - the contrary. I just don't want people to get carried away by idea that all the major companies listen or indeed that all the majors actually spend time surfing the various sites on the web. 1/48th is, in my opinion only going to get bigger, the early indications of support from the AM companies are very positive. What is also crucial, is the decision by Trumpeter to produce kits - withthe quality of recent Trumpeter releases and their low price, this can only be positive....

If you are actually serious about promoting 1/48th, then why not start by actually contributing feature articles, reviews and news to Armorama? As a site we would be delighted to publish material. No, this site's primary (armor) interest wil continue to be 1/35th scale, at least for the forseeable future, the problem is that many do not realise the full potential of 1/48th until they can actually see it for themselves. If you want to get it across, then make an attempt to bring people in gently. Comments such as
Quoted Text

Obviously this site is quite dead

are simply going to antagonize people. We have more than sufficient space for features, so use them!...Jim
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 06:30 PM UTC
Boy am I coming to this thread late. Back on the topic of the latest releases announced in Tokyo, I am really encouraged by all the stuff coming out – hope we all are buying lots of each. The M-10 is a personal favorite, so I am eagerly awaiting my box of those. Should be lots of fun doing variants (I even plan to do a prime mover from one). M-36 conversions should follow soon. The new Tamiya M4A1 Sherman is going to be a great addition to the scale too, with the choice of transmission housings and mantlets (not to mention the cross kitting possibilities for the left-overs with the existing M4 kit). Definitely getting a pile of those too.

May even order some spare Tamiya suspension sprues to fix up my pile of old Bandais. Particularly the 155 and ammo carrier set, but probably some Shermans too. Now when Trumpeter hits there will be no end to the Shermanic possibilities.

Oh yes, and I am looking forward to getting each of those Axis targets too 
 _GOTOTOP