_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
modern russian afv camo?
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 03:46 PM UTC
hi all. does anyone have any colour pics or links to modern russian/soviet afv camouflage? i have a zsu23 but i don't want to finish it in plain boring green... any help is appreciated, thanks.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 03:21 AM UTC
here is a small start:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/zsu-23-4.htm

Best bet is to Google "ZSU-23-4 pictures" and start looking thorugh links. Lots out there.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 05:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

here is a small start:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/zsu-23-4.htm
Best bet is to Google "ZSU-23-4 pictures" and start looking thorugh links. Lots out there.

thanks Jacques... the links are really useful

... and i managed to find this site about russian afvs in chechnya.. with colour pics!
afvs in chechnya

quite interesting... though i'm not sure if the zsu-23 was used in that conflict (?)....

just some more links on the chechnya war:
chechnya war 1
chechnya war 2
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 09:57 PM UTC
here's more.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/Russe/vehicules_lourds/T_64BV/T_64BV_diaporama.htm

allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hi All,
In Mojimbo's AFV in Chchnya link, there's a pic captioned MT-LB (2nd page).
This to me doesn't look like an MT-LB. (there's no step between the fronyt deck and the viewports). Is this a newer version?
Tom
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 06:57 AM UTC
Tom - Yes, it is a MT-LBu, a more modernized upper hull on essentially the same lower hull. Or a 2S1 hull, as derived from the MT-LB lower hull. Or something like that. Regardless, it is a mostly correct caption. :-)

2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All,
In Mojimbo's AFV in Chchnya link, there's a pic captioned MT-LB (2nd page).
This to me doesn't look like an MT-LB. (there's no step between the fronyt deck and the viewports). Is this a newer version?
Tom

It's a variant of the MT-LB known as the ACRV or ACRV M1974 used by artillery units in either a TOC or FIST-V role.

From Globalsecurity.org:

"MT-LBu [ M1974] -- Expanded variant for artillery command and reconnaissance vehicles (ACRVs) and other applications uses the same basic chassis as the 122-mm self-propelled howitzer 2S1. The small turret at the front of the MT-LB is removed, and a larger turret is mounted on the rear half of the vehicle."

Here is a better pic of it:
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 04:53 AM UTC
Russian camo varies from unit to unit for the most part.

I've seen pics of BMD's and BMP's painted in a dark green , gray, and black camo, red-brown,gray and green camo. I've seen them in the more common dark green, sand, and black camo. I've seen them in green and white, or 4 different shades of green. The acutual shades used vary vehicle by vehicle too.

Green, Gray, and Black:

Green, Sand, and Black:

Green and Gray:

Green, Sand and a reddish brown:

Another variation of the green, gray and black:

Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 05:39 AM UTC
I don't know and don't think that there is an official came scheme, but the most popular camo on the newer armor now is the Black, Green, and Sand camo, which can be seen on BMP-3's and T-90's. There are also many other camos in the operational units, however, many of the pictures of russian armor are taken at military shows and exhibitions, where each vendor/beurau has it's own camo pattern just for the exhibition purposes.
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know and don't think that there is an official came scheme, but the most popular camo on the newer armor now is the Black, Green, and Sand camo, which can be seen on BMP-3's and T-90's. There are also many other camos in the operational units, however, many of the pictures of russian armor are taken at military shows and exhibitions, where each vendor/beurau has it's own camo pattern just for the exhibition purposes.

The "official" scheme is supposed to be the green, sand, and black BUT in the late 90's there were units that applied schemes that were different than the "official" one due to mission or region.

The Airborne and Naval forces use the green, gray and black scheme, I have a pic for a 4 color PRP-4M (BMP based FIST-V) from the Siberian Military District..
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 03:50 AM UTC
First, ACRV is the NATO designation. Russian designation is MT-LBu.

There are, so far as I know, 4 "official" schemes:

1. Dark Green

2. Green, Sand, and Black

3. Green, Grey, and Black

4. Green, Grey, Sand, and black.

There is not any consistency within the russian army. So far as I can tell, the russians are a lot more flexable in their paint schemes, for example the Siberian Military District has a distinctive scheme different from units in chechnya, and units on the Chinese border are different from vehciles located in Eastern Europe. And then there is the Iranian border... Paint schemes seem to reflect far more local control on cammo for a given area. (maybe so you don't end up with NATO 3-tone in the open desert...?? )

And yes, paint schemes at trade shows can be even wilder...remember the purple, yellow and black scheme?

The safest bet, especially with a ZSU-23-4, is either Dark Green or sand/green/black.
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 11:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

does anyone have any colour pics or links to modern russian/soviet afv camouflage? i have a zsu23 but i don't want to finish it in plain boring green... any help is appreciated, thanks.

I've got alot of Russian AFV photos - maybe 100+?

PM me w/ your e-mail and I'll put them in a ZipFile and send them to you if you want.

Good Luck
N E O
 _GOTOTOP