_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Question about painting and washing steps
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
Armorama: 700 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 08:08 AM UTC
Hi guy’s,

I’ve got a question about the steps from painting till finish.
Oke This how I start:
1. black base coat
2. Pre-shading
3. camouflage
4. gloss coat
5. decal’s
And here is my question.
But when do I use filters (and what ratio),
Does the wash come after the filter.
Do I put the wash over the gloss coat or is better to do it on a matt coat and do I do the paint chips before or after the matt coat.

Can anyone tell me?

TIA
Jan-Willem
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 08:38 AM UTC
Hi Jan ..I usually apply another gloss coat over the decals to protect them from the washes ..I then do a dark pin wash into the cracks and around details ...I then flatcote the whole thing before doing the filter coats...90% thinner to 10% paint oil paints or enamels usually. I don't do the scratch thing too much but I think I'd add them before the filters to blend them in a bit..

Rick
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 10:09 AM UTC
I know some people apply the weathering and apply yet another matt clear coat to seal the weathering in but i myself tend to skip the last step. Weathering is normally my last step.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 10:44 AM UTC
I perfer to do at least one filter after the paint chipping (when I have chipped paint) as it tends to blend in the two colors together..

example this is an africa yellow basecoat but chipped to show the panzer grey under it.. then I really thinned down the sand color and gave a light "dust" (filter) coat to blend it in.

250 half track

Filters are a geat way to make a model look good but to me they are a bit hard to understand and i'm still learning as I go..

filters can be used to get a varity of effects from dusty and dirty looking vehicles to faded and discolored paint..

Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:44 AM UTC
Arent filters to be done over a mat or satin finish? If its done over a gloss coat you would get a pooling effect I would think...

Dave
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 12:31 PM UTC
heres a link for ya

Filters Explained
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Arent filters to be done over a mat or satin finish? If its done over a gloss coat you would get a pooling effect I would think...

Dave

I know some people mix water with acrylics. When you use this mixture for a wash, you get the pool effect.
slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 03:03 PM UTC
Just a quick comment. the preshading probably isn't very useful if you are doing a camouflaged vehicle. it usaully works best for a monotone finish. there is an article on missing lynx by a guy who did post shading for camouflaged finishes. His results look good.

I agree with another poster that a filter works best(for me at least) when applied to the matt coat.

Sean
 _GOTOTOP