_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
SA-6 description in "Trumpeterish"
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 01:06 AM UTC
Trumpeter is famous now from their interesting usage of English language They have just provided another example of it:

"“SAM”-6 is a near distance, inside in ex- all-weather inside in a kind of mobile type low altitude guided missile. The whole weapon system be shot by a guided missile car with the set system leads the radar car constitutes. Start researching to manufacture at the end of 50's, 60's middle material troops. In 1973 for the fourth time middle east war, shotted down not a few Israeli airplanes with Syria and once with this kind of guided missile Egypt. Make to lead radar adoption many wave bands many frequency work, the anti- interference ability is strong; Play the path 340 millimeters of, shoot heavy 604,000 grams of, adopt the whole distance half the active looking for of making and leading way。The main weakness of the guided missile is to makes to lead the system technique not very advanced, adopt the electronics of large quantity take care of, the physical volume is big and consume the electricity many, maintain the inconvenience with operate the low etc. in automation."

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Pawel
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 01:09 AM UTC
I should send this to my English teacher. But for sure I'll hide this from my children eyes.

Thanks for sharing this great piece of "humor" ? :-) :-)

olivier
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 03:06 AM UTC
Pawel,
The company I just started working for imports toys directly from China and I am seeing lots of the same kind of "creative writing". It seems like what Trumpeter needs (and these other companies) is a westerner who can proof their verbage so that they actually don't make fools of themselves in the eyes of the buyer. Considering how much effort they put into getting the actual kit right, I would think they would want to follow-thru and do the instructions and marketing materials in a similar way.

If Trumpeter or other manufacturers need this kind of input I am sure there are many here who would gladly volunteer their services as "western culture" grammer experts.

Just for fun here are some of the gems I have noted here at work:

On a set of Lego-style building blocks...
"Grow in wisdom the sex"

On a Barbie-like doll set:
"Princely Series"
"Simulating the True Styles and Making Carefully. All Styles are Wonderful"
"Larruping"
"Handsome Appearance"
"Eadation"

Lol....they still make me laugh.

Cheers,
Jim
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 03:30 AM UTC
I don´t think even some lowgrade webtranslator can think up so bad english.... :-)
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 03:43 AM UTC
:-) I liked the Barbie ones Jim
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 04:31 AM UTC
Looking at the SA-6 pics Jim has just submitted, Trumpeter's mold makers appear to be more talented than their translators (not talking about their boxart "artist" ...) . But I prefer that situation to the opposite

Frenchy
lkoky
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 04:38 AM UTC
Good to know that Trumpeter is focusing on producing nice and affordable kits rather wasting money on the marketing.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 05:30 AM UTC
As far as i'm concerned, they can put the 'blurb' on the box in Swahili. The content is excellent and getting better - personally i'm happy to see them spending the money on research and molding. I do wish they would improve their website a bit though - a touch on the 'clunky' side..Jim
Cvrle
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 05:34 AM UTC
I do translations (new and proof existing ones) and this looks remarkably like a machine translation with one of the computer translation programs...
But Jim is right- you get an excellent kit and a good humorous quotation with it.. it doesn't get better

Cheers,
tvrtko
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 05:56 AM UTC
Yes, I know this thing. I'm building a Wyvern and it has a few funny typos in the instructions. The kit seems to have an option for "floding wing tips" And what is a "left wing assmebly"?
:-)
Alpha7
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 01:46 PM UTC
Funny thing is that while the copy on the box is badly translated, the instructions are very well written (at least on the KV-2 kit)
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 02:21 PM UTC
I love it when they (any company) do that.You get a kit you want to build and a chuckle to go with it.They should charge extra for that :-) :-) :-) .

Jim
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:38 PM UTC
Yeah, I've seen this manual and had a chance to read it...

all i can say, is LOL!!!

Mirko
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:45 PM UTC
I'm old enough to remember some of the really early Tamyia translations...... :-) :-)
Still better than my Chinese or Japanese..... :-) :-)
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:36 PM UTC
Italeri dropped a nice pun in their Sherman M4A1 instructions, it's almost intentional...

Quoted Text

..Tanks to it's numerical superiority, the tank was able to match the German tanks.

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:45 PM UTC
Gotta go, my eadation is larruping...

I would suspect the box is manufactured one place and the kit in another. That may explain the difference in the quality of the translations.

Shaun
Tanker25
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 02:38 AM UTC
Well can somebody post the text box of KV2?

Now, that's really...let say...amusing!

Seriously, I dont mind if they have bad grammar on there box, as long as they keep of building great kits/subject

Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 03:22 AM UTC
Is there anything funnier than laughing at typos and grammatic errors? No, that's my opinion.

Here's a site dedicated to "Engrish": http://www.engrish.com/
This is one of my favorites

But back to modeling. That Trumpeter text on the first post was funny. The instructions on their wyvern talks about floded wingtips and assmeblys. What are those? Never heard of them.
But to be serious, that's good language when compared to the painting instructions on Pio models Finnish Stug 40 Ausf.G. The background and assembly instructions part are perfect english, but painting instructions are probably translated with a computer program (I don't know why, maybe people got tired).

"Painting: Two kinds of painting were used. Whole painted vehicle by standards how in vehicles of German army or whole covered vehicle color Wehrmacht olive. Two way much often used this cover of whole vehicle irregular blots in colours light-green, light-olive, light-grey and earth-brown"

The kit (actually it's Revell's kit boxed with resin parts, PE, and decals. Looks like a good kit, I might submit a review of it here) is Chezch (is that correct?), which might explain the strange grammatic.
armorguy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 04:37 AM UTC
Ha ha ha.

I noticed the other day on the end of my Trumpeter KV-2 box, the biggest piece of text on there says "Russsia". Good proofing..... :-) All in good fun of course.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Painting: Two kinds of painting were used. Whole painted vehicle by standards how in vehicles of German army or whole covered vehicle color Wehrmacht olive. Two way much often used this cover of whole vehicle irregular blots in colours light-green, light-olive, light-grey and earth-brown"

Sad thing is...I understand this.. :-) "Q"
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 08:13 AM UTC
and I thought my english was poor
:-) :-) :-) :-)
regards
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 10:25 AM UTC
I have some of the old Tamiya kits and they have some interesting translations going on. However they are nothing like Trumpeters.

One of the new KV kits has a really good example of this. Its hilarious.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 09:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One of the new KV kits has a really good example of this. Its hilarious

What is even more hilarious is that Tamiya continues to sell the nasty plastic blobs which purport to be KVs...

I really don't like this thread at all. As I said before - judge the product in the box, not the blurb on the outside....Jim
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 09:31 PM UTC
I agree with Jim totally on this one. A company that manages to produce an excellent KV kit in 1/35th scale that sells for around $11.5 (From Honk Kong internet shops) deserves the right to get away with whatever it writes on the box. Also, and I hope this doesn't piss off too many people... check out the English used in some of the posts here by American and Brittish members
Elad
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 10:59 PM UTC
I have their SA-2 rig and its one helluva nice kit (though I haven't finished it).

according to the pics in the news section I'm probably going to get me their SA-6 when it becomes availiable as it looks incredibly good.
in my opinion all models should come in a plain vanila cardbox with a sticker indicating whats inside like vac-form kits.
 _GOTOTOP